spell checker no longer works on selected text (v102.4)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ginahoy

spell checker no longer works on selected text (v102.4)

Post by ginahoy »

I recently upgraded to 102.4 from an older version and noticed the spell checker no longer works on selected text. If I select a portion of an in-progress email and click the 'Spelling' button, the 'Check Spelling' popup appears and disappears in an instant, regardless of whether the selected text has any misspelled words. Without a selection, the spell checker works as expected. Has anyone else experienced this behavior?
DanRaisch

Re: spell checker no longer works on selected text (v102.4)

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Thunderbird Support as 102.4 is a release version.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

I am on Windows 10 & Thunderbird ver 107.0b2

I tried some misspelled words in Thunderbird and it didn't offer the correct spelling of any words close to what I had entered. So I updated the dictionary from here:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/th ... ictionary/

Went back into Thunderbird and tried the same misspelled words and it offered the correct words. Try updating the dictionary and see if that helps.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

@Dan, sorry, I intended to post this in Support but got distracted when I was looking for other posts on this subject. Yes, I already checked safe mode. Same behavior.

@Bruce, it's not the dictionary. Spell Checker works properly as long as I don't select any text.

When I attempt to check spelling on selected text, the dialogue box disappears as fast as it appears. I have to look quickly and very carefully to tell that the 'flash' on my screen is actually the Check Spelling popup frame with no form (a transparent box with just a header ribbon). If it was simply a matter of not finding any incorrect words, the dialogue box would report "No misspelled words" and remain on-screen until I click either the 'Close' button or the 'X' button on the popup header ribbon.
TheCoalCracker

Post by TheCoalCracker »

Got the same results:
If multiple words are selected, the spell check window just flashes by.
If only the misspelled word is selected, then the spell check window appears as expected.
I'm on ver 102.4.0
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

TheCoalCracker wrote:Got the same results: If multiple words are selected, the spell check window just flashes by. If only the misspelled word is selected, then the spell check window appears as expected. I'm on ver 102.4.0
Thanks for confirmation. I see you're running WIndows, so that would seem to eliminate any issue related to my installation or OS (Linux). Presumably others can duplicate this bug?
Last edited by ginahoy on October 26th, 2022, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm using 102.4.0 under Windows 11Pro and it doesn't have that problem. I just updated it to 102.4.1., no change. I'm also running 102.2.2 under Ubuntu Linux using WSL2 (a light weight VM). It doesn't have that problem either.

You can get help here regardless of where you got your version of Thunderbird. Are you using a version that came with your Linux distro, the generic Linux version from the Thunderbird.net web site or ....?

It might help to also know what Linux distro you are using.
ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

My distro is Linux Mint 18.2. I use the Ubuntu Mozilla Team PPA for Thunderbird. I typically download packages from this server: http://mirror.arizona.edu/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

ginahoy

Post by ginahoy »

Thanks for posting that. Looks like the bug is specific to selected text which includes the end of a word before a line break or paragraph break. I was going to revert to a previous version but I'll hang on until the fix hits my PPA (v106).