Getting Out of Dark Mode

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Breeze

Getting Out of Dark Mode

Post by Breeze »

I just updated to 102.4.1.
Now it's in Dark Mode and can't hardly read anything. I want Light mode.
I'm running Windows 10 and it is set to Light Mode.
How do I get Light mode back?
Thank you
Last edited by Breeze on November 2nd, 2022, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's Not New and It's Not Order
Gone Postal

Re: Getting Out of Dark Mode

Post by Gone Postal »

Breeze wrote:I just updated to 102.4.1.
Now it's in Dark Mode and can't hardly read anything. I want Light mode.
I'm running Windows 10 and it is set to Light Mode.
How do I get Light mode back?
Thank you
Open the Add-ons tab and go to the Themes page.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Okay...then what?
I was/am using the theme "Blue Grass Rain Shower Petite by MaDonna."
Now it shows as black, no theme.
I tried the Light theme but the color is way off.
"Gone Postal" I love it! LOL
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

Breeze wrote:Okay...then what?
I was/am using the theme "Blue Grass Rain Shower Petite by MaDonna."
Now it shows as black, no theme.
I tried the Light theme but the color is way off.
"Gone Postal" I love it! LOL
How old was the TB version you were running before v102? Thunderbird no longer supports the custom themes produced for earlier versions so you are basically left with what you see on the Themes page of the add-ons tab.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

I don't know what version I was running. I have it set to update automatically.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If I use Blue Grass Rain Shower Petite with Thunderbird 102.4.1 it automatically changes from light to dark mode. It used to be one of my favorites.

I submitted a bug report a couple of months ago complaining that Thunderbird 102 changed from light to dark for certain themes. I was told that it was working as designed as they now deliberately do that for darker themes to make text easier to read. I think that's a poor decision, but there isn't anything we can do about it.

This makes almost all of the colorful themes I like to use unpleasant to use , so I now use "soft drawing paper' most of the time instead.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

tanstaafl wrote:If I use Blue Grass Rain Shower Petite with Thunderbird 102.4.1 it automatically changes from light to dark mode. It used to be one of my favorites.

I submitted a bug report a couple of months ago complaining that Thunderbird 102 changed from light to dark for certain themes. I was told that it was working as designed as they now deliberately do that for darker themes to make text easier to read. I think that's a poor decision, but there isn't anything we can do about it.

This makes almost all of the colorful themes I like to use unpleasant to use , so I now use "soft drawing paper' most of the time instead.
THANK you for your help! I thought I was going crazy. LOL
I tried soft drawing paper and it comes up as a yucky gray.
I tried Colorful Crazy Cats but it just turns it pink at the top...no picture....?
The only theme I am able to use is the System theme. It turns the top part to (solid) whatever color I have selected for Windows 10. *sigh*
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm using Windows 11Pro and it is configured not to have a theme, just a wallpaper image. So there is nothing to interfere with the Thunderbird wallpaper. "Soft drawing paper" has no grey on my PC, its a light tan color.

I tried Colorful Crazy Cats and its a reddish color on the left, gradually changing to a light wheat color on the right. I see eight colored cats on the right. I even see the whiskers. They have stripes, cross hatches or dots on their fur. The only defect seems to be that the cat images start to repeat in the optional mail toolbar.

Fantastic Spring Foliage by MaDonna , Two little birds, and Japanese gyünölcsfa are displayed correctly on my installation. I really like the latter, I wish the colored pattern was wider than half the width.

If your Windows installation is using a theme I suggest you experiment with disabling it and see if that fixes your problem.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

There's no way NOT to use a theme in Windows 10.
I hadn't touched a thing. All TB did was update and now the themes don't show.
For some reason TB is now connected to my computer colors.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I used to use Windows 10 and just specified it should use a fixed (no slide show) .jpg based wallpaper in a custom theme, disabling all of the other features.

"How do I add a wallpaper theme?

Create a Custom Windows 10 Theme. To create your personalized theme, head to Settings > Personalization > Background. Under the “Choose your picture” section, click the Browse button and select the folder that contains the image you want to use. Then choose a fit – typically, “Fill” works best for high-quality images."
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

"There's no way NOT to use a theme in Windows 10."

I know how to make and use themes in Windows 10. TY
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I was not suggesting that you could do without a theme. I was suggesting that you could use a custom theme that was based on a single wallpaper image and disable the rest of the bells and whistles as much as possible.

Basically you're given the choice of a picture, solid color or slide show as the background in a custom theme. If you chose picture and select a single .jpeg file you're basically just setting a wallpaper. Then you just need to deal with the remaining questions about accent colors, sounds and mouse cursors to create a custom theme.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-cus ... d-windows/
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

I'm needing help with TB, not my Windows 10 wallpaper.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I think you actually have two problems (your windows theme messes up what themes look like) but I will focus on the problem both of us have.

https://support.mozilla.org/gn/questions/1295726 claims that you can force light mode by setting ui.systemUsesDarkTheme to 0. However, when I select a light theme its already set to that value and its value doesn't change if I use a theme that forces dark mode. So perhaps that is now a obsolete setting. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1295378 is related but seems useless too.

The closest bug report I found was https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1749832 which claims "Update from 91.3.0 to any later version to 91.5.0, and the customized background color is overridden by the dark theme, despite ui.systemUsesDarkTheme set to 0. If in 91.3.0 the latter is set to 1, the same problem occurs" . However, the background color in the compose message window is still white, its other windows which have the wrong color. So that bug report doesn't seem to apply anymore.

https://www.emailonacid.com/blog/articl ... for-email/ talks about using media query, prefers-color-scheme: dark . "As of this writing, the CSS query will work with Apple Mail, Thunderbird, and certain versions of Outlook, but Gmail does not support it." Let me experiment with trying to use a CSS snippet to make it treat all themes as light themes.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

I think you're right. In Bugzilla a guy mentioned it may be my userChrome file. So I'll check that out.
Thanks, I appreciate you!