Inbox foreground and background colours the same

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rwan

Inbox foreground and background colours the same

Post by rwan »

Hi all,

I hope I am posting this message to the right board. I'm using Thunderbird 102.4.2 on Ubuntu 22.10 . Everything was fine until recently. I didn't (as far as I can remember) install anything new to my system. I definitely didn't add any new add-ons.

Anyway, the list of e-mails in my inbox (i.e., the top-right part of the interface, which shows a list of e-mails, the sender, the date received, etc.) is being shown as white text on a white background (i.e., I can't see anything). I know e-mails are there because when I click on any random spot, the e-mail appears below.

I am on the Light theme. If I change it to the Dark theme then it becomes black on black -- again, I can't see anything.

All others folders are fine. The e-mails in them are listed correctly as black text on a white background. It is just my Inbox folder that this happens to.

If I create a new folder and move an e-mail from my Inbox to this new folder, I get the same problem -- I can't see it in the e-mail list. However, if I move it to an existing folder, then the e-mail appears correctly.

In short:

* E-mail listing not shown in Inbox
* E-mail listing not shown in newly created folders
* E-mail listing fine in previously created folders, even with new e-mails

I can't find a setting anywhere in the menu that would do this. I was thinking of foreground colour or something, but I can't find anything that would be specific to a single folder. But I'm happy to delete all my settings, if this could solve my problem. I'm not sure what to delete (or if this would solve my problem.) (Of course, I wouldn't want to delete my e-mails or IMAP server configurations.)

I have another installation of the same version of Thunderbird on the same version of Ubuntu and that is fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Ray
tanstaafl

Re: Inbox foreground and background colours the same

Post by tanstaafl »

Does the problem occur in safe mode (help -> troubleshoot mode)? That will temporarily disable your add-ons, optional *.css files, hardware acceleration, etc.
rwan

Post by rwan »

tanstaafl wrote:Does the problem occur in safe mode (help -> troubleshoot mode)? That will temporarily disable your add-ons, optional *.css files, hardware acceleration, etc.
Thank you for your suggestion! I wasn't aware of that option.

But I gave it a try, and yes, the problem still occurs in safe mode... :?

Ray
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you either :

Install the generic Mozilla Linux build and configure it to use your existing profile (which is not in the directory tree it expects). See if it has the same problem.

Or uninstall the Ubuntu thunderbird package using your package manager and install the prior version.
rwan

Post by rwan »

tanstaafl wrote:I suggest you either :

Install the generic Mozilla Linux build and configure it to use your existing profile (which is not in the directory tree it expects). See if it has the same problem.

Or uninstall the Ubuntu thunderbird package using your package manager and install the prior version.
Thanks a lot for this advice! Yes, it worked!

In particular, I went to http://www.thunderbird.net and downloaded the latest version there (102.5.0). It imported my folders and settings without any problems. And then it just worked... I kept thinking it was a setting since I'm using the same version on another computer. Anyway, thanks a lot for the suggestion! You saved me a lot of stress -- I was going to start deleting my settings, etc.

I didn't try an earlier version of Thunderbird, though...with Ubuntu's package management system, I was worried I would cause problems with dependencies or something later.

Ray