Changing IMAP to POP

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
paradoxum

Changing IMAP to POP

Post by paradoxum »

I have an IMAP account with all mails downloaded locally, I am trying to convert it to pop because I changed webhost, the first time I did it, all my mails disappeared, now I've managed to do it without that happening, but the account has a constant loading circle on it as if it's trying to do something.

When I check the error console it looks like this:
https://i.imgur.com/eNYmOv1.png

How do I fix this?
I've tried exporting all the subfolders/mails using an extension and importing them, but it seems to not export some folders at all (they're just empty when imported).

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by DanRaisch on November 16th, 2022, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image tag removed to restore page format.
DanRaisch

Re: Changing IMAP to POP

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't know how many folders you have in that account but could you just create folders in the POP account and then copy messages from the IMAP folders to the corresponding POP folders?
paradoxum

Post by paradoxum »

That's what I just ended up doing, seems a lot of the mail was NOT local even though I had both client and server set to download a copy and remove it from the server which was weird.

thanks
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I noticed the very first error was "couldn't find profile directory". That's pretty serious. Did that go away after you replaced the IMAP account with a POP account?