Mess in local archive folder: monthly Vs. yearly

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
user2018

Mess in local archive folder: monthly Vs. yearly

Post by user2018 »

I have a big local archive folder where some years contain all the messages under the same year folder and others are structured by month within each year folder. Changing the archiving mode from yearly to monthly seems to work only for future archiving messages (i.e., the previously-archived messages are not reorganized to follow the selected structure). Is there any way to automatically re-organize all local folders to follow a monthly structure (without having to go manually through each folder and classify the messages "manually")? What about the opposite situation, that is re-organize all messages according to year folders without month subfolders?

Thank you for any idea!
tanstaafl

Re: Mess in local archive folder: monthly Vs. yearly

Post by tanstaafl »

Nope.

You might want to think about having one folder for the current year and one for everything older. I find that most of the time when I look for a pretty old message I'm better off doing a global search than relying upon a organized folder structure. However most of my searches for ancient mail are based on infrequent events (like replacing a furnace) or specific topics rather than something periodical (heating bill for a certain month/year). If most of the time you know the month/year associated with a old message than I suggest you stick with monthly folders.