RESOLVED. TB suddenly crashing

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Kent Slimm

RESOLVED. TB suddenly crashing

Post by Kent Slimm »

I'm running 102.6.1 and all of a sudden I find that TB keeps crashing. At first I thought it was limited to when I started typing a new outoing message, but now it's happening spontaneously. The only change I made in my system today was to let Windows download and install its cumulative update for W10 21H2 (KB 5022282) and then restart. Not sure this is related, but I have no other explanations.

Is this happening to anyone else?

EDITED TO ADD UPDATE: Problem seems to have resolved after restarting my computer a second time. Multiple restarts of just TB didn't help.
Last edited by DanRaisch on January 12th, 2023, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Subject marked as RESOLVED per OP’s post.
dontgiveup

Re: RESOLVED. TB suddenly crashing

Post by dontgiveup »

Nice to hear that it worked for you. :D

I got the same problem, on the same day, on the same platform, W10 Pro W10 21H2 (even during the same install KB 5022282).
Problem seems to have resolved after restarting my computer a second time.
That work around did'nt work for me. ](*,)

I had to reinstall the TB-version cause my external profile was crashed, or crushed up.

With reInstall I mean, I decided to remove my original profiles file in C:\Users\thisUser\Appdata\Roaming\Thunderbird,
and putting it back after reinstallation of TB.
Reason, I needed good profile files for my external profile disk, on which some files were so damaged that they were leading to a parent.lock file. TB failed to end the startup process.

In the windows logs files I found a type of disk write errors on the external drive which are not allowed on an USB device.

Windows is not allowed to write hidden files to a temporary disk,
and since 21H2 this was the first time I saw this same old Windows bug again.

Anyway, it is working now. :evil: