How to send an email at a certain time in future?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
thoste

How to send an email at a certain time in future?

Post by thoste »

Assume I want to send an email not immediately now but at a later time (e.g. tomorrow at 10:00).

Since I will most propbably not sit in front of my computer (and smartphone) I need a way to let Thunderbird do it automatically.
The message itself should be written now and saved e.g. in a special "to_send_at" folder.

Is there a solution in Thunderbird?
Using a 3rd party Addon is acceptable?

Thomas
OldGrantonian

Re: How to send an email at a certain time in future?

Post by OldGrantonian »

For info, the following addon only works up to TB ver 100. But it proves that it's possible:

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/th ... d-later-3/#:~:
Gone Postal

Re: How to send an email at a certain time in future?

Post by Gone Postal »

OldGrantonian wrote:.
For info, the following addon only works up to TB ver 100. But it proves that it's possible:

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/th ... d-later-3/#:~:
The add-on page linked above shows that the add-on is compatible with v102 - v110. You can probably find versions compatible with earlier editions of TB by searching through the authors GitHub pages linked from the add-on page above. I am running TB v110.0b1 and a beta of the add-on (v9.2.8) and they both co-exist harmoniously.

For the record, running TB on the Beta channel means I often have a TB version which is newer than the add-on spec. allows. If you are confident enough to use one of the file compression apps like WinZip or 7-Zip to unzip the add-on .xpi file you can test whether the add-on will work with the beta TB by:

1) unzipping the .xpi add-on file
2) editing the manifest to add the beta TB version to the "latest" line in the manifest
3) recompressing (which will give you a .zip file)
4) renaming to .xpi
5) using the "install add-on from file" option in the TB Add-On Manager tab to upload the edited .xpi

This process may also enable the user to check if a legacy add-on works with the current released version of TB.