Strange Misbehavior

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
John Liebson

Strange Misbehavior

Post by John Liebson »

1. Click on first new TB email after waking the computer.
2. Computer locked up, forced restart.
3. Restart TB.
4. Many messages downloaded.
5. Almost all messages duplicated; some of those downloaded after the restart were as many as six days old.

Who, what, where, why?
DanRaisch

Re: Strange Misbehavior

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
What version of Thunderbird?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
What version of Thunderbird?
1. I hope you won't mind if I don't look up if I am using POP, for that is what I am using.

2. TB is 192.6.1 (64-bit), with 102.7.0 waiting to be installed.

I rather knew that you'd be asking for that info, I just did not do provide it for reasons unknown. Centurylink email shows that it has 187 messages, the oldest dated 10/5/2022. I have no idea how long it retains them, nor any setting to change that.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to the \Mail sub-folder of your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Three folders found; the one with the name n066c9x0.default-release-1 is shown, in a Run command search as being the folder in use. and is time stamped as of four minutes ago. Do I need to save the other two folders, or only the -1 folder?

There won't be any messages in the inbox when I proceed, so no need to create a new sub-folder, as I don't store anything there.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

To what other folders are you referring?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:To what other folders are you referring?
As I wrote, the three folders that the use of the Run Command, as recommended by one of the links that the profile backup link contained. They are also found when you use Run to find Tb, and add -p at the end.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

John, what are the names of those folders?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:John, what are the names of those folders?
From the "Choose User Profile" Option, a quick way to find the folders:

default-release
default-release-1
default-release-2

The third entry is the one in use, and when I looked at them using the link you provided, which shows the actual folder names, only the folder of the profile in use is being updated.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In that case the other two are "obsolete" and have been superseded by default-release-2. You could delete them or ignore them.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:In that case the other two are "obsolete" and have been superseded by default-release-2. You could delete them or ignore them.
Thanks, that is what I suspected, but I now wonder if I have to wait until I get the email telling me that you had replied before I read it....

I shall proceed to take care of this, at least eventually.