Unable to send or receive messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Hawaii Steve

Unable to send or receive messages

Post by Hawaii Steve »

When I click to Get Messages or to Send a message, nothing appears in the status bar at the bottom that shows what's happening. There is only a thin blue line at the right of the status bar that stays there for several seconds, then goes away. The left side of the status bar says "null". What's wrong and how can I fix this?

Thank you
DanRaisch

Re: Unable to send or receive messages

Post by DanRaisch »

Your subject says you are unable to send or receive messages but then report action in the status bar. Does that mean that the intended recipient never sees your email when you try to send and that no new message are coming into the account? Is this an account newly added to your Thunderbird installation or one that was working but now has this issue?

Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings Server Settings:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Is it your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Connection Security:
Authentication Method:
metro5053

Post by metro5053 »

OK,
I have caused confusion,
This is what happens when I open thunderbird, bottom right corner of Tb shows it is downloading messages. Then the inbox shows brackets the number of new messages downloaded. When I click the inbox to read the messages, nothing happens, I cannot access them. So what I do is right click the inbox folder, and select properties. This brings up a small box called Folder properties, in this box it has a repair folder oblong button, once I click on this button, the new and old emails appear, so I can read them. Same goes for other folders such as Sent, as soon asI shut Tb down then open it up again I have the same problem so have to repeat the process. I can send mail, but to look in the sent mail folder I have to repeat the process.
Sorry about the confusion
Bob
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

DanRaisch wrote:Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings Server Settings:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Is it your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Connection Security:
Authentication Method: