Shared local folders with multiple simultaneous users access

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ymoto7

Shared local folders with multiple simultaneous users access

Post by ymoto7 »

At my work we use Thunderbird for our email needs. In order to not fill up our IMAP server, we move messages to local folders. There is a need though, for multiple users to access the same local folders at the same time. We have a file server, and I can move the "Local Folders" directory there. Will this be enough for them to have a "synchronised" Local Folders account?

Also, it would be more convenient to have this Local Folders in maildir format (faster backups in the file server etc). Is this feasible?
morat

Re: Shared local folders with multiple simultaneous users ac

Post by morat »

Wayne Mery (wsmwk) wrote:Only if the two users never, ever use their profiles at the same time - without exception - and each quits thunderbird before the other uses thunderbird.
Wayne Mery (wsmwk) wrote:If users/profiles will not be used at the same time, then I think my recommendation of pointing the ACCOUNT storage to a shared location will work, even for pop, because popstate.dat is located in the account's directory structure. In that case a) they would be sharing ALL the folders of that account, not just Inbox, b) you better have very good backups in case something goes sideways.
Similar thread
http://support.mozilla.org/questions/1368787
ymoto7

Post by ymoto7 »

Thank you for your answer, but I do not want the users to share their profiles. Their profiles are separate, in their PC HDD. What I want to do is that these users have access to the same "Local Folders". I think that this should be easier than sharing the same profiles.
morat

Post by morat »

The original poster talks about two different users sharing the same INBOX folder and keeping their profiles separate. It seems to me the same question.

I believe that wsmwk is a Mozilla developer so he should be knowledgeable about this.
ymoto7

Post by ymoto7 »

You are right, but in my case, I want 2 users to have simultaneous access to the "Local Folders". In the solution proposed, there is a warning to not use the inbox the same time. This is not applicable in my case. That is why my question remains...