Tb 102.10.0 (64-bit) Stopped Downloading (Solved?)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
John Liebson

Tb 102.10.0 (64-bit) Stopped Downloading (Solved?)

Post by John Liebson »

I encountered this late yesterday, tried again this morning, same problem. Trying to find out what was blocking mail downloads, I deleted every item on the server marked as "Yesterday," testing as I went, to no avail. There is email on the server, starting early today, but when I ask Tb to download, the message I get is that there is no new email on the server.

To check that the server is working, I sent an email from my account to my wife's account, both of which are on centurylink.net; that message was delivered.

What is next?
Last edited by John Liebson on May 8th, 2023, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Tb 102.10.0 (64-bit) Stopped Downloading

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
I already knew that, and already knew to include it in my first message. That I did not do that is due solely to my not having done that.

It is POP. When I try to get new email, the bottom of the Tb screen shows that the request is going to my Clink account, no new messages.

Clink is so helpful. For example, in several places is says that Chat is available 24/7, but clicking on it has no effect; finally found out that Chat only works Monday-Friday.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Close Thunderbird. On the server, move all but messages received today out of the inbox folder and into a new folder created for the purpose. In the Thunderbird profile folder rename the file Popstate.dat to Popstatedat.old. Launch Thunderbird and see if today’s messages are downloaded.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Starting sometime yesterday afternoon, every single new email from CLink has been automatically marked as trash!

I did get an email, perhaps yesterday, about someone having captured my email address (not the first of a very few,) but also my email password. Is it possible that the knowledge of my password would enable whomever did that to mark everything as trash. I'd not done anything about this, not having seen any untowards action in regards to my email.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:Close Thunderbird. On the server, move all but messages received today out of the inbox folder and into a new folder created for the purpose. In the Thunderbird profile folder rename the file Popstate.dat to Popstatedat.old. Launch Thunderbird and see if today’s messages are downloaded.
No new email in the inbox folder, they are all in trash.

I cannot rename Popstate.dat in the profile folder, as popstate.dat does not exist!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1) Do a whole hard drive search for Popstate.dat.
2)
Is it possible that the knowledge of my password would enable whomever did that to mark everything as trash.
Not with a POP account unless they have access to your local computer.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:1) Do a whole hard drive search for Popstate.dat.
2)
Is it possible that the knowledge of my password would enable whomever did that to mark everything as trash.
Not with a POP account unless they have access to your local computer.
Certainly what I need is yet more confusion: The hard drive search turned up popstate.dat, supposedly created around 4:51 PM Local as a folder, but there is no such folder in the Tb profile nor in the list of files in the profile.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Normally Popstate.dat would be a file and not a folder. Also, have you confirmed that Windows is set to display hidden files and folders?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 66d1d9f4b5
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:Normally Popstate.dat would be a file and not a folder. Also, have you confirmed that Windows is set to display hidden files and folders?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 66d1d9f4b5
Yes, I know that popstate should be a file, not a folder which does not appear even though, yes, Windows is set to show hidden files and folders. or, as in Windows 11, "Show hidden items."

Another look at my disc scan showed a popstate (no extension) file in Users/..MS/Recent, which was supposed to be in my Downloads folder. I clicked on, was informed that it was in the Recycle bin, so I retrieved and renamed it Popstate.Dat. Clicking on that shows the first line to be about my Clink connection, making me believe this is the proper file. Is there a way to put it back in the profile?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

I found popstate (no extension) in the Folder, renamed it popstate.dat, no new messages. I renamed it old.popstatedat, restarted, no new messages. I deleted that, restarted, no new popstate.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

The amount of time spent with no good result makes me ask if it is not time to start over. If so, fresh copy on top of the existing one, or remove before reinstalling?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Uninstalling and reinstalling the application itself has absolutely no impact on your Profile, which is where saved data such as account settings, message files, etc is stored and where most problems originate.
Do you have just this one account in the current Thunderbird installation?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:Uninstalling and reinstalling the application itself has absolutely no impact on your Profile, which is where saved data such as account settings, message files, etc is stored and where most problems originate.
Do you have just this one account in the current Thunderbird installation?
So much for that brilliant theory. I had quite forgotten that profile creation is a separate procedure. Time to create a new profile? It has been so long since I did that that I have no recollection as to what might be involved, but what ever that might be, it just might be better than trying to mend the existing profile. I will, of course, follow your recommendations; I am only pondering, given the time expended so far with no improvement.

Two accounts: Clink and Gnews.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you create a new profile you would have to have all of the necessary settings info for all of your current accounts so lets save that new profile as a last resort.

What is "Gnews"? Is that another email account a some sort of news feed account? If email, POP or IMAP?
Does CenturyLink provide for accessing that account using the IMAP protocol? If so, you could simply create an IMAP version of the same account as you now have in POP but with IMAP access.