Tb 102.10.0 (64-bit) Stopped Downloading (Solved?)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
John Liebson

Re: Tb 102.10.0 (64-bit) Stopped Downloading

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:If you create a new profile you would have to have all of the necessary settings info for all of your current accounts so lets save that new profile as a last resort.

What is "Gnews"? Is that another email account a some sort of news feed account? If email, POP or IMAP?
Does CenturyLink provide for accessing that account using the IMAP protocol? If so, you could simply create an IMAP version of the same account as you now have in POP but with IMAP access.
I have no idea why I wrote Gnews, the account is Gmail.

The first site I chose to see if Clink can use IMAP very kindly showed the incoming IMAP server settings, and the outgoing, which is what I am using no doubt.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

showed the incoming IMAP server settings, and the outgoing, which is what I am using no doubt.
Except you reported that the existing CenturyLink account was set up as POP. You can add an account in Thunderbird for the same email address. As long as the combination of server type plus email address is different for the two accounts in Thunderbird it will work without issues.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:
showed the incoming IMAP server settings, and the outgoing, which is what I am using no doubt.
Except you reported that the existing CenturyLink account was set up as POP. You can add an account in Thunderbird for the same email address. As long as the combination of server type plus email address is different for the two accounts in Thunderbird it will work without issues.

Sorry, I continue to be unclear, due to circumstances beyond my control, a situation that I hope and expect to clear up soon.

What I ought to have written is that I believe the Outgoing Server settings on the CLink page are the settings that I am already using with my CLink POP account, not that I am using the CLink IMAP Incoming Server Settings.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Outgoing settings are associated with SMTP servers and not with either POP or IMAP, both of which involved incoming data, not outgoing.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:Outgoing settings are associated with SMTP servers and not with either POP or IMAP, both of which involved incoming data, not outgoing.
That is what I thought, but it has been so long since I dealt with creating a Tb profile, and such matters, that I thought it best to ascertain the facts.

What is the next step? You suggested that I create an IMAP profile, I believe, but as I have only done that once (for Gmail). I am not about to proceed on my own.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You would not be creating a new profile. You simply need to add your Clink account to Thunderbird as an IMAP type account.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

DanRaisch wrote:You would not be creating a new profile. You simply need to add your Clink account to Thunderbird as an IMAP type account.

I did that, which was very easy, wrote a message to myself, my first IMAP message on Clink. told Tb to retrieve new email; seeing none, I looked in the trash folder, where my message was found. This process did not fix the problem, mega-sigh.

I checked the profile, there is still no popstate.dat, not even popstate. What is the next step, please?
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

As a temporary measure, can you turn off the Trash filtering in your Clink settings through your browser (not your Thunderbird settings) and see if that lets a similar e-mail come through to you?
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Gone Postal wrote:As a temporary measure, can you turn off the Trash filtering in your Clink settings through your browser (not your Thunderbird settings) and see if that lets a similar e-mail come through to you?
That's not the problem: I get my email, but it is automatically sent to Trash. However, it is odd that the CLink on-line email shows files in Trash, but only until sometime 1 May. I don't see any trash-filtering setting; shall investigate to see if such a thing is there somewhere.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

John Liebson wrote:
Gone Postal wrote:As a temporary measure, can you turn off the Trash filtering in your Clink settings through your browser (not your Thunderbird settings) and see if that lets a similar e-mail come through to you?
That's not the problem: I get my email, but it is automatically sent to Trash. However, it is odd that the CLink on-line email shows files in Trash, but only until sometime 1 May. I don't see any trash-filtering setting; shall investigate to see if such a thing is there somewhere.
I found the trash mail setting, and as I had a feeling, I had turned it off, so any such mail is automatically sent to the on-line inbox, so the problem rests with Tb. When I receive email from Clink, it automatically goes to the trash folder in Tb.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

Thanks for the response. Just to be a bit clearer about what is happening, the mail that comes down from CLink is going to Trash on TB. Where is that Trash folder, under Local Folders, under the CLink IMAP account or under the CLink POP account? It might give a clue as to where TB is causing the problem.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

This is getting more annoying and frustrating: Yesterday, I changed from POP to IMAP. Without my doing anything to change that, the account has reverted to POP!

What is going on, what do i need to do to actually restore Tb to a useful state, one in which it does automatically move all new email to the trash folder?

For the first time in several years, a short while ago I looked at the instructions on creating a new profile. The last time I did that, I was presented with a long list of files in the existing profile to copy to the new profile. That instruction does not appear to exist any longer: Did I miss something, or has the process been greatly simplified?

I am sorry to prolong this thread, but I have never encountered such a serious problem with Tb, and so far no one has really told me what I need to do. Please, this is NOT a complaint; rather it is my explanation of the overly-lengthy discussion.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

While we are trying to troubleshoot it would be more helpful to create a new Clink account set up as IMAP rather than trying to modify the existing account. The two accounts will live quite happily in tandem on Tb. It will be possible then to compare and contrast the POP/IMAP connections.
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Gone Postal wrote:While we are trying to troubleshoot it would be more helpful to create a new Clink account set up as IMAP rather than trying to modify the existing account. The two accounts will live quite happily in tandem on Tb. It will be possible then to compare and contrast the POP/IMAP connections.
To demonstrate my professional befuddlement, that is what I thought that I was doing yesterday, and was, therefore, surprised to find that I had only one account which replaced the POP account with the short-lived IMAP one. I will have to see if I can figure out how to add an account rather than change one. I have no problem accepting your advice, it is the carrying out thereof that, as has all the rest of this thread, simple though it may be, escapes me for reasons totally unknown, not to mention quite anomalous..

I am just not functioning at my usual level; I don't know why, do hope that this reverts to whatever I might claim as "usual", such as most likely being the only medieval historian to have ever organized, equipped, trained, and led two fire departments.
Gone Postal

Post by Gone Postal »

John Liebson wrote:To demonstrate my professional befuddlement, that is what I thought that I was doing yesterday, and was, therefore, surprised to find that I had only one account which replaced the POP account with the short-lived IMAP one.
You wrote earlier that you changed from POP to IMAP not that you created a new IMAP account which prompted my comment. If you create a new IMAP account, you don't touch the existing POP account, you go to Tools > Account Settings and click on the Account Actions button in the left hand sidebar. Then select the Add Mail Account option and go from there. Is that what you did yesterday or did you click on the existing POP account and work from there?