Gmail Thunderbird Messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
HSI

Gmail Thunderbird Messages

Post by HSI »

I have a gmail account which I acccess with Thunderbird. I want to quit gmail. I understand to preserve my existing messages I must back them up (download?) or they will be lost. Would I use Thunderbird or gmail to back them up. I tried Googling for my answer but it was confusing. I must not lose any of my messages.
Thanks, Colleen
DanRaisch

Re: Gmail Thunderbird Messages

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
HSI

Post by HSI »

Thanks Dan. It is an IMAP type.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Close Thunderbird. Navigate to the profile folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird ) Locate the specific account's folder and a file which has the same name as the folder involved and which has the extension .msf. Rename that file. For instance, if the Inbox is involved, rename the file from Inbox.msf to inboxcmsf.old or if the Sent folder is involved, rename the file from Sent.msf to Sentmsf.old. Restart Thunderbird and see what happens.
HSI

Post by HSI »

Hi Dan
I located my Profile folder. Thank you for the link. I haven't tried the renaming yet as I have a couple questions.
1. Would I rename all the msfs I want to backup, e.g., Inbox, Sent, Templates, State, etc.
2. You suggested renaming Inbox.msf to inboxcmsf.old. Is that a typo? The other example, Sent.msf to Sentmsf.old is slightly different. The first example has the letter "c" that is missing in the second example.
Thanks again for your help.
Colleen
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Colleen, you can rename the files to anything you choose. My recommendation to rename Inbox.msf to Inboxmsf.old (yes, the c was a typo) was only suggested to make it easy to remember the original name of the file if for any reason you want/need to reverse the renaming.
Renaming those files is intended to force Thunderbird to create new .msf files in case the problem you are having is due to corruption in the current versions of the files. Thus if you have 8 folders in use but only 3 show the problem, only rename the 3 having the issue.