TB Send Button greys out until...

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ACFairbanks

TB Send Button greys out until...

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi,

I run TB 102.11.1 64 under Win 10 22H2 -

Every time I compose an outgoing message, and type the first few characters of the recipient's name into the To: Field, I see a list of possible recipients, as I should.

But, when I then select the proper recipient from the list, some extra characters populate the To: Field and it looks like this:

Jos >> Joseph Jones <joseph@hisdomain.com> and the inclusion of the search criterion characters (in my example "J," "o," and "s" I entered, and the added ">>" that I did not enter, causes the Send Button to grey out. To send the message, I have to manually modify the contents of the To: Field removing those first few characters. When I delete those characters the To: Field looks like this:

Joseph Jones <joseph@hisdomain.com> and once I make that modification of the recipient's address, the Send Button comes alive, and the message can be sent.

What might be causing these extra (problem) characters to appear, and how might I prevent that so I can avoid having to tweak the To: Field every time I send a message?

Many thanks,

A.C.
[/size]
[/color]
DanRaisch

Re: TB Send Button greys out until...

Post by DanRaisch »

Check the address book entry to confirm there are no extraneous characters in the record.

If that’s not the issue, see if the problem persists in Mozilla Safe Mode. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi Dan,

I feel like I am losing some of my few remaining marbles... I read your suggestions after rebooting the system, and then wanted to look at the troublesome Addressbook entries, but the problem no longer reveals itself...!

If it starts again, you'll be the second to know.

Many thanks,

A.C.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No problem and good luck with that account.
ACFairbanks

Post by ACFairbanks »

Hi Dan,

Experimenting further, I found that there is a trivial workaround:

TB inserts an address in the To: Field (though I can't figure out why it defaults to a particular address.) If that is "correct" that is if it displays my intended recipient, and I hit Return, I often have the ">>" problem.

If, instead, I ignore the default address that has been inserted even if it points to the recipient I wish, and click on the "correct" address as it appears in the Dropdown, it appears in the To: field properly, and replaces the ">>" version.

Many thanks, as before,

A. C.