Advanced Attributes - Safe?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird

Post by Guest »

Daifne:

We've been through all of this before on a different thread. This thread just brought me back to the main problem - which is a massive Profile (4.8G) and unable to compact the Inbox folder.

That's just an update.

Okay - in my New Profile/Mail there are no inbox.msf files - nada.

I remember that we deleted these in my Old Profile before we transferred all of the folders and files to the New Profile.

How to proceed?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I help so many people, that I often don't remember when someone posts in a new topic. Could you give me the link to the other topic so I don't repeat myself again?

Post by Guest »

I couldn't find the other thread - searched for 20 minutes :)

Basically you walked me through all of the steps for setting up a New Profile, deleting .msf files, transferring .mab files, etc.

And you were a huge help!

But when I've tried to compact the inbox folder it takes 10+ hours.

Tonight I moved all of the folders (and email) into the Local folder, then deleted all of the folders in my main account/folder.

Now I'm going to try compacting again. So far it's been 1 hour and still compacting.

Is there another way to do this?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Did we use MboxImport to move the mail last time?

Post by Guest »

Yes
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Have you tried looking around the profile to see which file/files are so large? Is it the Inbox? Or another file?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest the author register as a user of this web site, and then login using that identity. That will let anybody find any threads you create, and you can configure the profile to notify you if somebody replies to your posts.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Heh! I was just going to suggest that... Should have thought of it a long time ago.
marksmalley

Post by marksmalley »

No - I haven't done that - but will now.

Also, the process of moving folders (and email) into Local Folder - and then deleting them in the main Inbox cut the Profile size in half (to 2.3 G). Making progress I guess.

I've been compacting the main Inbox for one hour (on top of the 12 its already run) -
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Sometimes, the indicater doesn't know that compacting is done... Not sure if that's what is happening to you.

That is a great start. Now we're getting somewhere.
marksmalley

Post by marksmalley »

The Mail - Inbox file in the New Profile is 2G. That must be the culbrit. I don;t want to delete this or I'll lose all my mail. Although most of my Inbox mail has been moved to the Local Folder. Let me know what is the best way to proceed.

By the way, I ran the compacting folders all night again - it was still running this morning. I don't think the application knows when it is completed.

Let me know.

Thanks.
GordMcFee

Post by GordMcFee »

marksmalley wrote:The Mail - Inbox file in the New Profile is 2G. That must be the culbrit. I don;t want to delete this or I'll lose all my mail. Although most of my Inbox mail has been moved to the Local Folder. Let me know what is the best way to proceed.

By the way, I ran the compacting folders all night again - it was still running this morning. I don't think the application knows when it is completed.

Let me know.

Thanks.

Mark, couldn't you move the email out of the Inbox and then delete the Inbox and Inbox.msf files?
Gord McFee
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Mark, Gord is right on. Just what I was going to suggest again. You must have gone a long time with a lot of mail activity to get an inbox that big.
marksmalley

Post by marksmalley »

There are no .msf files. We deleted these previously. I'll just need to place the email files somewhere so I have access to them just in case this doesn't work.

Mozilla TB should inform all users to "compact" their folders. I realize there are thousands of things they could tell users - but this is a very big deal. Because reading other threads its apparent that a lot of other people are having this same problem. If folders are not compacted TB will crash, and cause many other problems.

Yes - I send and received thousands of email each week. Part of doing business.

Post by Guest »

marksmalley wrote:There are no .msf files. We deleted these previously. I'll just need to place the email files somewhere so I have access to them just in case this doesn't work.

You might want to check the profile again, as Thunderbird automatically regenerates .msf files as soon as the program is started. Were that no so, there would be no rhyme nor reason to any mailbox, as .msf files are indices to the actual messages.