MozillaZine

Forcing Thunderbird to use a VPN

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
PeaceMessenger

Post Posted September 29th, 2005, 9:27 am

I can tell MS Outlook which internet connection I want to use (namely my VPN connection) in order to download emails. Then, if I forget to connect to our company VPN connection when I send and receive messages, I won't accidentally download emails from various email boxes without going through the VPN connection, because Outlook then tries to connect to my VPN for me.

I can't seem to find anything in Thunderbird that will let me force downloading emails only through the VPN- or through a specific internet connection. Does anyone know how to do this in Thunderbird? (I'm still on WindowsXP- perhaps not forever)

GordMcFee

Post Posted September 29th, 2005, 11:08 am

Could it be the proxy settings at Tools -> Options -> General -> Connections?
Gord McFee

Post Posted October 4th, 2005, 6:37 pm

No... I don't think that is it. All I want it to bring up the "Connect To" dialogue box for connecting to a VPN when it senses I'm not on it.

In Outlook, I go to Accounts- Properties- Settings- Connections and choose "Connect using my phone line"

Post Posted October 4th, 2005, 6:42 pm

Then under "Use the following Dialup Networking Connection" I select our VPN--- so it's not really using our phone line, but XP treats a VPN like a Dial-up connection. Then whenever I'm not connected to the VPN and try to send or receive email- it connects me up so that every email account I have passes through our VPN.

If there is anyway I can do the same in Thunderbird?

GordMcFee

Post Posted October 4th, 2005, 6:43 pm

What about Tools -> Options -> Connections? I don't see any other place where you could set it.
Gord McFee

Return to Thunderbird Support