Withdrawing an e-mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
HelenCole

Withdrawing an e-mail

Post by HelenCole »

Hi,

Ive sent an email that I would like to withdraw before the recipient reads it. i know Outlook has this option but I cant find one in Thunderbird. Does it exist and does anyone know how it works?

Much appreciated,
Helen
ramasaig

Post by ramasaig »

If you've sent it from your computer to your ISP there's absolutely no way you can stop it (it has probably already gone to the addressee's inbox at their ISP). If you were not on line when you 'sent' it, it may still be in your Unsent Messages folder.
Ramasaig
Maolbhuidhe, Isle of Mull
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Recall_a_message for a longer explanation of why you can't do that for your configuration.
GordMcFee

Re: Withdrawing an e-mail

Post by GordMcFee »

HelenCole wrote:Hi,

Ive sent an email that I would like to withdraw before the recipient reads it. i know Outlook has this option but I cant find one in Thunderbird. Does it exist and does anyone know how it works?

Much appreciated,
Helen

The reason you can do that on Outlook is because it is probably on a network or LAN, where messages can be withdrawn or cancelled. Even then, the person can refuse the withdrawal and read it anyway. On the Internet, as the other posters said, the message has already gone to the other person's email server and there is nothing you can do.
Gord McFee
HelenCole

Post by HelenCole »

Many Thanks,
Helen
GordMcFee

Post by GordMcFee »

My pleasure.
Gord McFee