Thunderbird won't launch

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

You're very welcome.
AnttiK

Post by AnttiK »

I'm having exactly same problem on MAC. TB just refuse to run. Version is latest downloaded minute ago. I first tried to upgrade by dragging the app to my apps folder -> no go. Then I removed everything (app and data folder) and tried to do clean install -> no go. Any ideas?
hwgill

Post by hwgill »

It's pretty sad when you have to manually uninstall, and delete all the folders before installing a new version of TB.

Post by Guest »

I agree
mtz1of4

Post by mtz1of4 »

hwgill wrote:It's pretty sad when you have to manually uninstall, and delete all the folders before installing a new version of TB.
I agree also, but it sounds like this should be the last time we have to do that. From the Improvements over earlier versions

"Automated update to streamline and improve product upgrades and/or extensions."
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/rumbling ... 1/1-5.html

Post by Guest »

Ummm, so I have this problem too. Upgraded to 1.5. It launched once, now it won't. Won't work on Safe Mode. Won't even work without a profile in the folder. Why do I feel like I am all of a sudden using Outlook Express?
hatacha

Same Problem

Post by hatacha »

I just wanted to let everyone know that I encountered this same issue when I updated from an old version of thunderbird (0.7ish) to the newest version (1.5.0.9)
I found out that the new install doesn't replace the old one. So, I believe it was getting confused as to which version to launch and thus Windows decided to sit there and drool on itself rather than launch the application.
Backing up my profile, getting a fresh install, and putting everything back in place fixed me right up though. Thanks for the help!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

The update from earlier versions to 1.5.0.x is the first time I have seen this. I think that the new autoupdater is the cause, but I'm not a programmer. ;-)

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys, yet another guest here with exactly the same problem. Just D/L & installed 1.5 and nothing worked. Followed the instructions here; backed up Documents & Settings\username\Application Data\Thunderbird; did the re-install. Then copied the profiles and mail in "Thunderbird" back into documents & settings, and started the app. Works like a treat.

For the other guest who wanted to sync two PCs, try "Synching Thunder" (http://synchingthunder.sourceforge.net/). Works for me.
Daifne

Re: Thunderbird won't launch

Post by Daifne »

anachronaut,
I split your post off to a new topic. Your question was not really related to the topic you posted in and it was over two years old. Yours is here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=752815