MozillaZine

Thunderbird + maildir

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
matarunk

Post Posted January 23rd, 2006, 10:52 am

Hi,

I'm using thunderbird as my email client.. But due to the large volume of emails, it seems to be loading very slow and the mailboxs are getting corrupted frequently. My question is, is there a way to use maildir format for storing emails in thunderbird? Like using mutt + thunderbird or I heard that its possile to use imap + thunderbird for storing emails in maildir format.

Is there any such mechanisms available ? If so, can anyone give me the exact steps to impliment it. or any link ?

Arun.

old SKopischke

Post Posted January 23rd, 2006, 10:55 am

There is no way to change th MBox format to something else. However, I believe we can help you.

-> Do you regularly compact your folders? It is strongly recommended. Check <<<b>this page</b>>> for more information on compacting folders.

Post Posted January 23rd, 2006, 10:57 am

thanks SKopischke for your quick reply... will maildir be supported in the future release ?

old SKopischke

Post Posted January 23rd, 2006, 11:01 am

I do not know.

Post Posted January 23rd, 2006, 11:43 am

strange..

kevlar700

Post Posted July 30th, 2009, 10:07 am

I hope we can get Maildir in thunderbird 3 or 4. I know you may have features built around mbox.
However lack of Maildir support is what has turned me away in the past and i am now wrestling between [using it for the nice enigmail support and header only downloading] but [lack of Maildir!!!! and higher complexity bringing security bugs and so more frequent updates] than say sylpheed or clawsmail, of course it may also get more code auditing but it's definately more complex and uses more code types and so needs it. Of course I'd never use mshtml in outlook which gets replaced at it's time of the month ;-).

LIMPET235

Post Posted July 30th, 2009, 10:14 am

Please start a new thread if nec & leave these oldies to R.I.P.
Thank you.
Locking.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
W.M.Y.C.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Return to Thunderbird Support