Cannot CREATE new SUBFOLDER (Mozilla Thunderbird)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
MCE2

Cannot CREATE new SUBFOLDER (Mozilla Thunderbird)

Post by MCE2 »

In order to better organize my e-mails, I've been trying to create a new SubFolder in one of the folders from the main (or 'parent') account.

1.- I right-click on the file I wish to create the subfolder in and select "New Subfolder".
2.- Then a little gray box comes up asking me the folder (new) name and the option to "create as a subfolder of" -main parent or local folder.
3.- I put in the name I wish for the new subfolder and click enter.
4.- NO SUBFOLDER appears in the folder I was trying to create it in.

Why? Can it be fixed? Any help regarding this matter would be highly appreciated!
hermetica

Post by hermetica »

Don't create any subfolders of 'Inbox' what ever you do. Plus it is far more advisable to create sub-folders of 'Local Folders'.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

What are you trying to name it? If you are using a symbol in the name or if you are naming it the same as one of TB's default names, you could have this problem.

Post by Guest »

Actually, what I have done is:

1.- Create a new folder (NEW FOLDER 1) different from the Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Trash folders in the "Parent/Main" folder.
2.- Tried to create a subfolder in this "NEW FOLDER 1" named "NEW FOLDER 2" in order to separate different types of mail.

Now, when I right click on "NEW FOLDER 1" it gives me several options (New Subfolder, Rename Folder, Compact Folder, etc...). I click on New Subfolder, then a gray box comes up (as I was saying before) asking me to write a name for the new subfolder ("NEW FOLDER 2) and I click "OK". But then, when I click on "NEW FOLDER 1" I find there is no subfolder to be found.

Therein lies the rub.... any ideas on what could be going on? *thank U!!* :0)

Post by Guest »

Also (adding to my last post), I've found that, while able to create subfolders with no problem in the Local Folders section, it won't let me see my mail from any computer. That is why I wanted to be able to organize the mail in the parent/main file. That way, I can access the files any time I need them and not only from one computer.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

From what you are saying, it sounds like you are talking about an IMAP account. If so, you have to create these folders on the IMAP server, not in Thunderbird. I don't use IMAP myself.

Post by Guest »

I'm not sure I follow. The mailbox is from Mozilla Thunderbird. When configuring it asks if you want IMAP or POP3.... (I did choose IMAP).
hermetica

Post by hermetica »

You don't understand. POP3 or IMAP is the type of mail protocol used by your email provider and is not a choice left to you. You then configure Thunderbird for the TYPE of mail (POP or IMAP) that you have.

With IMAP (AOL and AIM are very well-known email providers who use IMAP) you cannot create any new folders in a mail client. They have to be created in your email account on the web and then 'subscribed' to within Thunderbird.

Post by Guest »

Oh, I see what you are saying.
Thank you so much for explaining, I will follow your advice and see how it goes from there.

And, once again, many thank you's' Hermetica and Daifne for all your great help!
I've really appreciated it! :0)
Jay Tuck

Re: Cannot CREATE new SUBFOLDER (Mozilla Thunderbird)

Post by Jay Tuck »

Im having this problem, what is the red symbol all about in the dialog box for creating new folder, once i start typing the name i want for the new folder, the create button greys out, whats going on? its the same for all 3 accounts, and this was working fine before!
Daifne

Re: Cannot CREATE new SUBFOLDER (Mozilla Thunderbird)

Post by Daifne »

Jay Tuck,
Start a new topic please. This one is over three years old. I'm locking it.