How do you input POP3 password?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
SteveHoffmanUK

How do you input POP3 password?

Post by SteveHoffmanUK »

I can't believe I am asking such a fundamental question, but when I try to use the Account Wizard to set up an account, it doesn't ask me for my ISP password. Not suprinsingly, when I give everything else and the Wizard finishes and tries to access my server inbox, I get a password failure!

I note that in View Settings for this Account, it doesn't show any password field.

Clearly I am missing something pretty obvious, but I can't figure out how you input your password for your POP3 account or how you change it.

Thunderbird 5.1, just downloaded and being tested. Win XP.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Thunderbird doesn't let you supply the password when you configure the account. Instead, it prompts you for the password when needed. When that occurs it displays a checkbox to have the password saved by the password manager. If you check that checkbox it will store the password and automaticly use it from then on.

tools -> options -> privacy -> passwords -> "view saved passwords" lets you see the saved passwords.

Since you didn't get prompted for a password and got a password error message I suspect there is a problem with your username. Some email providers want you to enter the entire email address as the username while others want just the part to the left of the '@'. Its also possible you checked a checkbox such as use secure authentication (when you weren't supposed to) which prevented it from sending the username in a form that the POP server understood. I suggest you goto your email providers web page and take another look at thier instructions for configuring a email client.