Thunderbird is already running?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Er, you did notice that you replied to a 7 month old topic, didn't you?
tinkerkid

Post by tinkerkid »

Daifne wrote:Er, you did notice that you replied to a 7 month old topic, didn't you?

I see that now, thanks. I certainly meant to reply to a current topic, but oh well, the information's out there for others to pass on anyway. Glad to know there are others "out there" looking and responding. Grateful, T
bartek_m

Re: Thunderbird is already running?

Post by bartek_m »

Hi,

I have similar but not exactly same problem.

I have ubuntu and MS Windows on my box. Windows is sometimes used and I'd like to have a "shared mail folder" to use for Thunderbird in Ubuntu and in Windows. In the previous installation of Ubuntu it was running perfectly.
- I created symlink from Ubunut ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/<windows_profile> -> /C/Documents and Settings/blahblah/<windows_profile>
- edited the ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/profiles.ini to point to correct profile name
- cool. Everything was working fine, Thunderbird under Win and Ubuntu saw the same mailboxes and mails.

Unfortunatelly my Ubuntu installation got corrupted and I had to reinstall it. I am now following the same procedure but got that damn "already running" message.

The profile name spelling is fine in profiles.ini, I also removed profiles.ini and recreated it and created a link to /C/Documents and Settings/ with the same name as Thunderbird created it under Ubuntu, I changed the spaces in "Documents and Settings" to "_". No results...

It is working though when I copy the profile directory from Windows to Ubuntu... -->> ????????

It MUST be a link to the profile under WIndows. I don't want to import anything or make any workarounds like syncing...

Any idea why? Maybe the Thunderbird version has changed and doesn't work anymore with symlinks?? The first installation was for couple of months.

I can attach the output from strace running thunderbird if you want to...

bartek_m
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

bartek_m,

1. This is an old topic. Start your own new one.

2. It is rude to post in some one else's topic with a "similar" but different problem. It's too confusing for everyone.
Cozmo

Post by Cozmo »

At a command line try:
sudo thunderbird -profilemanager

If that opens your profile manager, delete the old profile, and then create a new one.

Cheers. . .
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

And lose all your email and address books. Great advice there, Cozmo...