Thunderbird not responding, then taking ages to do anything

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
butting

Post by butting »

Fantastic work texaspete, where do we send the beers? I see on Sophos' front page that Rbot-CTJ has now been updated; there's no mention of Thunderbird or of the earlier definition release, but I haven't had any screams from my users since start of business. Mmmmm, bug-fixy.

And I've just called in to check, and my sole outstanding case sounds to be resolved.

Post by Guest »

i have this same problem, with t-bird & sophos, but the file you mention does not exist..

Post by Guest »

I'm experiencing the same problem again except I've deleted the rbot-ctj.ide file. I also get delayed responses to key strokes. I've noticed that the SavService.exe is hitting 90% utilization when this happens. This there another problem file with Sophos? I'm running 5.2.2.
Banana Peels

Post by Banana Peels »

Sorry - Didn't realize I wasn't logged in - this post is from me. :?

I'm experiencing the same problem again except I've deleted the rbot-ctj.ide file. I also get delayed responses to key strokes. I've noticed that the SavService.exe is hitting 90% utilization when this happens. This there another problem file with Sophos? I'm running 5.2.2.
Banana Peels

Post by Banana Peels »

I reverted to TB v 1.07 and that seemed to fix the problem for a few hours, but today, I'm back to the same sluggish behavior. Anyone with any ideas?
Thanks!!
Banana Peels

Post by Banana Peels »

Can anyone help? I'm having to use Outlook as my email client and I'm about to kill myself......................
auntym

Post by auntym »

I'm also having the same problem and use McAfee. T-Bird needs to look into this problem more, as it seems to be spreading.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

auntym, If you are not using Sophos, you do not have the same problem. Please start a new topic so you can be helped without confusing this already confused topic any more. Thanks.
ckempo

Post by ckempo »

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but this is happening for me too, with TB 2.0 Beta 2 and Sophos 6.5.3 - SavService.exe is eating 90%+ CPU - having a severe impact on my ability to actually do anything until one or both offending proceses (usually savservice) are killed via taskmanager.

Anyone know what this is yet? The previous posts are a couple of months back now and it would seem the .ide file referred to is no longer in use. It's not in my Sophos ide dir anyway.
texaspete

Post by texaspete »

It's not happening again for me, but I'm on Tbird 1.5.0.9. Try a non-beta release?

Post by Guest »

I recently discovered this myself. When I hit Google looking for "SavService.exe" and "Thunderbird", this thread is at the top of the list. :)

I'm running Tbird 1.5.0.10 (20070221) and... not sure what version of SAV offhand, but it's the corporate-mandated standard, so I would imagine it's reasonably recent without being on the ragged bleeding edge.

Specifically I use Tbird's IMAP to pull e-mail from the IMAP service of an Exchange server, and punt outbound SMTP e-mail to the same box. It's when I send even a quick 'hello' test msg to myself that SavService.exe pins the CPU and renders my laptop unusable for anywhere from about 3-10 secs.

Haven't figured out which definition file is to blame yet, but would welcome suggestions.

Post by Guest »

We're having the same problem at work. I've even tried excluding the MSF files from the on-access scan but it's done nothing. I have emailed Sophos about it though, so I'll post back if I get a useful reply.

Post by Guest »

(Replying to my own Guest post, immediately preceeding.)

I figured out a fix. Or at least a workaround. This was my first clue:

http://kbase.pscs.co.uk/index.php?article=335

Then I went looking for my Sent folder on disk. On your system you would look for something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourWinUserName\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\u7f9876h.default

in particular:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourWinUserName\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\u7f9876h.default\Mail\Local Folders

and in that folder you should have a file called 'Sent'.

Right-click on the SAV icon in my tray, and navigate these menu choices:

Open Sophos Anti-Virus > Configure Sophos Anti-Virus > On-access Scanning > Exclusions > Add

then under "Item Type" choose 'File' and under "Item Name" just browse till you get to the folder containing the 'Sent' file, select it, click OK, click Apply, and you should be golden.

Hope this helps someone who is just as frustrated as I was.
Fred_0010101

same problem with Mcafee

Post by Fred_0010101 »

I'm having the exact same problem with mcafee (using vista). I tracked it down to the buffer overflow protection and added in the exclusion list the sent file mentioned in the post above. No result however. So I just excluded the whole folder without mentioning a file (C:\Users\"YourProfileName"\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\xo51340g.default\Mail\Local Folders)
and this worked. Pretty anoying but solvable

Re:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:(Replying to my own Guest post, immediately preceeding.)

I figured out a fix. Or at least a workaround. This was my first clue:

http://kbase.pscs.co.uk/index.php?article=335

Then I went looking for my Sent folder on disk. On your system you would look for something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourWinUserName\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\u7f9876h.default

in particular:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourWinUserName\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\u7f9876h.default\Mail\Local Folders

and in that folder you should have a file called 'Sent'.

Right-click on the SAV icon in my tray, and navigate these menu choices:

Open Sophos Anti-Virus > Configure Sophos Anti-Virus > On-access Scanning > Exclusions > Add

then under "Item Type" choose 'File' and under "Item Name" just browse till you get to the folder containing the 'Sent' file, select it, click OK, click Apply, and you should be golden.

Hope this helps someone who is just as frustrated as I was.

That really helped!
Thank you very much.

My System:
Win XP SP3
Sophos 7.3.4
Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.16