win32 Thunderbird 0.4 broken features?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bgsmith14

win32 Thunderbird 0.4 broken features?

Post by bgsmith14 »

I'm using Windows 98 on an IBM Thinkpad with Thunderbird 0.4 which I downloaded and installed two hours ago.

I have two seperate email accounts with two seperate ISPs, one is a cable ISP the other is a dial-up ISP. I tried to create two email accounts in Thunderbird where each account would use its own ISPs POP3 servers.

The first account works perfectly.

The second account won't allow me to:
1. enter a password so I can "Get Mail"
2. enter an outbound SMTP server for sending mail from the second account. Thunderbird claims I only need one outbound server for all accounts but, I want to use a different server for each account. ( I think Thunderbird assumes users will have only one ISP and that is not the case here. )

As more and more ISP options become available ( dsl, cable, dial-up, satalite, wireless, etc... ) more and more users will want this kind of arrangement.

Finally, please disable HTML in email by default.
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

If you go to Tools> Account Settings> Outgoing Server> Advanced you should be able to enter a second smtp server. After you've done that, go to the Server Settings for each account and Click on Advanced (next to the Empty Trash on Exit option) and choose the smtp server you want to use with each account.
I don't understand why you can't enter a password for it to get mail. Have you tried going to Tools> Options> Advanced> Passwords> Manage Stored Passwords and deleting all the passwords. Thunderbird should prompt you for them the next time you try to check for mail. I don't know how to do that one account at a time as I only have one Email account.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

TBird will only ask you for the password when it has received a password request from the server - that's why you don't see a "password" field when you are configuring the server in TBird. At that point you can decide whether you want the system to remember the password or not. So when you manage to actually connect to your second smtp server the password will take care of itself.

Be aware, though, that if you are using smtp servers associated with internet service providers, many of them will not allow you to connect to the smtp server unless you are connected to the web via their isp. This is to prevent unauthorized use of their servers to send spam.

If the reason you want to send via another smtp server is so that your message will be identified as being "from" this other address, it is not necessary to use a different smtp server for this. It still can be sent from whatever smtp server you wish to use and it will have the "from" info associated with thet account in TBird from which you chose to send it.

For example, I have two accounts set up, and three smtp servers. Each account is configured with a different "from" address, but I have both accounts set to send via the default smtp server (Tools | Account Settings | Advanced ). I send all outgoing mail through the smtp server provided by whatever service I am connecting through at the moment. I just switch which server is my default among the 3 smtp servers I've configured (my cable provider, my dialup provider, my cell phone provider).
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
ixedos

Post by ixedos »

2Persist
Thnx a lot! I just didn't notice that it has an "Advanced" button to set a particular SMTP server to an account. I had two SMTP servers entered but both my mail accounts were utilizing only one, so I spent a lot of time playing with it until I got this topic.
Njall

Post by Njall »

This is not universally an IMAP problem. We are using IPLANET from Sun and it has a SENT folder so the default settings work fine. Which is good because I use it to hold messages I composed and sent while logged on from home.