Relaying prohibited error

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Hauptmann6

Relaying prohibited error

Post by Hauptmann6 »

80% of the time I try to send mail with thunderbird I get the replaying prohibited, you are not allowed to relay mail error. This hasn't happened before about a week ago. This is mail I create and mailing lists I reply to. I love this program but it's making it unusable.

This is with .3 and .4

Re: Relaying prohibited error

Post by Guest »

Hauptmann6 wrote:80% of the time I try to send mail with thunderbird I get the replaying prohibited, you are not allowed to relay mail error. This hasn't happened before about a week ago. This is mail I create and mailing lists I reply to. I love this program but it's making it unusable.

Followings are sites describe about "Realy", which I found by google search with "relay denied SMTP".
http://www.globalsc.com/faqs/html/550_relay.html
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/relayingdenied.html
Will these help you?
SoaRex

Re: Relaying prohibited error

Post by SoaRex »

For reference to "Realying denied" and "550 - 5.7.1" problem, I posted a comment(same as previous post) in a Bugzilla bug.
See Bug 228198 : SMTP relaying fails with error 5.7.1
This will be closed as INVALID because 5.7.1 is rejection by spam policy and apparantly not a bug of Mail client software.

Hauptmann6, have you contacted with your ISP?
trihard

Post by trihard »

this isn't a spam issue and isn't an ISP issue. I have the same problem, but can log on under a different profile on my computer, into a different email profile in Thunderbird, and send the same mail without having the error message about relaying. There's something else here, and I don't know what it is... other than frustrating!!!

Post by Guest »

I'm an ISP, an I'm quite sure it IS an ISP issue...

In the past most SMTP servers were open, so everybody could send mail over every SMTP - paradise for spammers.
So ISPs started to use POP-before-SMTP - this way only IP addresses are allowed to send from which an authorized POP3 access has occured in a specified time interval before.

But in the meanwhile SMTP-AUTH is the usual way to check if a user is really allowed to send mail - and you get the message "relaying denied" if you are NOT allowed. The reason why some mails are delivered although is quite simple: the mail server has also to _recieve_ mail for local users, and mails are not rejected if you write to a user considered as "local".

So I guess your ISP simply enabled SMTP-AUTH without telling you...

But Thunderbird is able to use SMTP-AUTH: Just activate the checkbox "Use name and password" (maybe it's named not exactly as quoted, I don't use the english version) in your SMTP account settings in Thunderbird.