Problems writing to the mailbox in Windows XP...

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
LeadHead

Problems writing to the mailbox in Windows XP...

Post by LeadHead »

I've just moved from an old computer with Win ME and Thunderbird 0.2 to a new one and TB 0.4 on Win XP (SP1).

Whenever I try to download messages I get a popup message saying: "Unable to write the mail to the mailbox. Make sure the file system allows you write priviledges and you have enough disc space to copy the mailbox." I have many gigabytes (30+) on all drives.

It doesn't matter if I use my old mail files or new ones from scratch. Nor if I go back to 0.2 (in which case it still reads 0.4 in the about-window so it also seems hard to uninstall 0.4 completely).

When I go to the directory and check any write-protection, the individual files aren't protected but the mail-account directory has a grey square in the checkbox (not a checkmark but something else that I've never seen before, new as I am to XP). It doesn't help to uncheck it (in which case it says that it's about to remove write protection). It's back the next time I check the attributes...

Anybody have clue?

I have Panda Titan Anti Virus installed and I'm seriously beginning to wonder if that's what's messing with TB's writing priviledges...? Anything else?
I'm the only user in the system and I've not been tinkering around with any user restrictions or anything like that.

For now I'm running it in: D:\Dokument\Erik Dahlbäck\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\Erik (0.4)\azpmeid4.slt\Mail\mail.erik-dahlbeck.com
It doesn't seem to matter if I use another directory (such as a parent directory to whereever the TB program itself is located.

I'm on a Swedish, localized version of XP, therefore the odd directory names.
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

From what you're saying you've not been able to download any mail yet and so you've nothing to lose by deleting Thunderbird and your profile and starting again. Try disabling or removing the anti virus software. I don't use any. I've had several viruses pass through my system but if you don't save the attachment and then run the program it can't do any harm. I'm not that stupid so I've nothing to gain from having an extra program running in the background, giving me problems like yours.
The other thing is, check where Thunderbird is trying to save your mail. The default is for the profile to be in C:\Documents and Settings. It may be trying to write there and that may be the cause of the error message.

Post by Guest »

@LeadHead I've the exact same behaviour since Panda Titanium Antivirus 2004 is on my machine. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I don't really know what's going on between this 2 programs. I've my profile in c:\documents and settings. There are no options to either disable panda to scan the mails or something like that.
If anyone finds and fix or something like that please let us know