SMTP problems

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird

SMTP problems

Post by Guest »

Is there any way to use a different smtp for each account?
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

If you go to Tools> Account Settings> Outgoing Server> Advanced you should be able to enter a second smtp server. After you've done that, go to the Server Settings for each account and Click on Advanced (next to the Empty Trash on Exit option) and choose the smtp server you want to use with each account.
anton_at

smtp problem - different usernames, same smtp-server

Post by anton_at »

Did not work out to me ....when I tried to do as mentioned by 'Persist' above. (I use standalone Thunderbird 0.4 / Win98SE). By default every email account uses the same smtp, so I get the error: wrong username on some accounts. I entered Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server>Advanced first and then the same window showed up when I activated mailaccount_xxx>Porperties (same default smtp server activated at alle mail accounts :-(

So my problems are:

- How to use 2 email accounts with different smtp-usernames at the same freemail-provider?

It's GMX -> same servernames but different usernames! at the different accounts. There always will only one smtp-server/username combination be used (the one marked with 'default') for all accounts I set up.

- How to use an alias account? (Same servername, same username, but differnt email address)

the Hint mentioning 'movemail' I could not use, because did not find the place to write in the option 'movemail'. I guess this was only possible to fill in with Mozilla-Thunderbird (built together version).
At pref files ( \defaults\pref\mailnews.js ) there is a block mentioning this pref but the selection shown on the window when setting up a new mail account shows only the first 2 of the 4 selections, so that 'movemail' does not even show up.