User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bpublisher

Post Posted June 1st, 2006, 3:19 am

Hi? How canI transfer mail from one computer to another using thunderbird
Thanks

SeniorLeagueHockey

Post Posted June 1st, 2006, 5:47 am

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=420175

I've got the same task on today as well amigo. Maybe we should both bookmark this (your) thread and then we have a reference point if we both need help.
How would you like it if every time you made a mistake at work a red light went on above your head and 18000 people yelled at you?

Lost User 58167

Post Posted June 1st, 2006, 5:52 am

I am not 100% what you are trying to do.

If you have Thunderbird on an old computer and you are moving to a new computer, you can use a free program called MozBackup - http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ - and with this program you can backup all of your settings and profile (addresses, mail, etc.) from your old computer and then restore it on you new computer. This will over write any mail on the new computer.

If you are wanting to archive just your Email to move to another computer, you can use an Extension called MboxImport - http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

You may also want to look at this from the Knowledge Base
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Backing_up_yo ... d_settings

SeniorLeagueHockey

Post Posted June 1st, 2006, 6:51 am

rcci wrote:I am not 100% what you are trying to do.

Me personally:

PC died a couple weeks ago after 6 years of "Triggers Broom" upgrading. Bought new PC. Bought casings to turn old PC's hard drives into external drives so I don't lose my archives/backups. The drive with my documents and settings on it is now ready to go.

So my plan is:

Install Thunderbird on this PC.
Import mailbox and contacts list on this PC.
Reconnect to my mail servers.
How would you like it if every time you made a mistake at work a red light went on above your head and 18000 people yelled at you?

Daifne

Post Posted June 1st, 2006, 5:40 pm

If you already have Thunderbird working and you don't want to overwrite any messages, do it this way:

I want you to install this extension: Mboximport: http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

To install a Thunderbird extension do the following:
Right click the download link and choose "Save Link As...". Then open Thunderbird, in Thunderbird go to Tools->Extensions->Install. Find the just downloaded .xpi file and select it. The installation will now begin. You will need to close and reopen Thunderbird to complete the install.

When it's installed, you will have a new menu item in Tools called Import/Export Mbox and under it, Import Mbox File. Select it and when you get to the Windows file navigation window, find your OLD profile and get the files with no extension that you want from Mail/*account*. Example: there are two files and 1 folder in your profile for your inbox. Inbox.sbd is the folder, inbox.msf is the index and inbox (no extension) is the actual message file. The last one is the one you want. Do this for each folder that contains messages that you want to bring in. If you have subfolders, these files are in the .sbd folder for the parent folder. The messages will be in a new folder named for the original with three numbers, ex: Inbox123, which you can then move the messages out of and sort as you want.

For your address books, Close TB. Find your old profile and in the top level of it you will find some files with the .mab extension. TB creates two, abook.mab and history.mab. These are your main address books. These files can be just copied right into your new profile at the same level if you haven't added any new ones to the new address book. Let them copy over any existing files. If you do have addresses in the new address book already, then rename the old ones and copy them in that way. If you created any of your own please let me know, they will also be named with the .mab extension, but they won't be automatically picked up.

If you have any filters set in your accounts, the files you want to copy is msgFilterRules.dat This goes in the Mail/*account* folder. For Junk controls training, the file is training.dat and it is kept in the top level of the profile folder.

When you have completed this, compact your folders now and regularly in the future. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

That should be everything. Let me know how it turns out.

SeniorLeagueHockey

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 2:22 pm

Everything went perfectly, thanks again Daifne. :D

Daifne

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 2:33 pm

You're welcome again, SeniorLeagueHockey. I also just looked at the link you posted and I had given this technique there too. ;-)

SeniorLeagueHockey

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 2:58 pm

To be honest, I'd already sussed out what I needed to do from the post I re-posted, as I thought it would help the bpublisher guy. The only issue I'd had after reading your instructions was that I didn't have the permissions for the old drive's My Documents and Settings\Ed folder and didn't know what the solution would be. Rather than badger you further I went to an XP forum and asked for advice there. I got the solution but the response time didn't come close to the responses I get on here.

Ah well, it all adds to the learning experience. I'm confident with what I'm doing on TB now. For another 3 months or so. ;)

Daifne

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 3:07 pm

:-) Good work. This is a quick forum. I like that.

Return to Thunderbird Support