Firebird not showing new messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird

Firebird not showing new messages

Post by Guest »

I was running an older version of Mozilla and Mozilla mail, when I figured out that the mail client wasn't downloading new messages from the server. It seemed to have just started after not making any changes. I totally uninstalled Mozilla and reinstalled the newest releases of Thunderbird and Firebird. It STILL doesn't download new messages. I click the 'check for new messages' button, and it says there are no new messages on the server. If i login through my mailboxes webmail feature, I see that there's a ton of new messages. I check Thunderbird again and it says no new messages on the server (even though there ARE dozens of new messages). The only way those new messages will display is if I close out Thunderbird, then restart it, it will then download/display all of the new messages from the server. I'm using IMAP, BTW. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
fiercekitty

Post by fiercekitty »

I'm interested in the reply to this because I've been having the same problem =)
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Are the messages on your server really OLD messages that you have told your Moz and TBird to leave on the server? If they've already been downloaded neither Moz nor TBird will see them as new.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
mancereus

Post by mancereus »

i know this problem from my opera m2 mail client with imap and i tracked it down:

it depends on your imap mailserver.
to retrieve the new mails the thunderbird mail client sends the following command to the server:

UID FETCH 3245:* where 3245 is an internal number for the next message to fetch and * is an wildcard for all following messages.

Some mailservers can't handle this wildcard "*" and don't send the new messages back. (for example: IPLANET)

the opera mail client sends
UID FETCH 3245:4343434667554 with a fixed high number, but some other mailservers can't handle the fixed number (like CYRUS). This is my problem.

So it seems that every mail client should have a list of mailservers to decide which Version to use (or an preference to switch)