Keep full mail when replying

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
apollas

Keep full mail when replying

Post by apollas »

Tbird is great, however when I press reply, only the last bit of a mail (that's been back and forth a lot) is kept, making it hard to follow an ongoing discussion.

Is there a way to make Tbird keep everything when replying? If I press forward instead, everything is there...

Thanx,

/Anders
Walter, guest

Post by Walter, guest »

Could you please more explain.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

This is not the behavior I see on my system. When I reply it quotes the entire message I am replying to.

For anybody to be able to track down your problem, it may be helpful to know the exact build of the program you are using. You'll find this as the string reported via Help | About.

If you are using any themes or extensions, this might be important as well.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

Post by Guest »

I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird 0.4 (20031205) - no themes or extensions as as I know.

It only happens sometimes; one particular contact is messed up always.... Can't find the pattern, though....

Post by Guest »

Any chance this could have something to do with the signature divider?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=19458
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Anonymous wrote:Any chance this could have something to do with the signature divider?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=19458

Good catch. Didn't think of that.

If the message being replied to contains a "-- " sequence (two dashes and a space) all its own line by itself, everything starting there and below would be considered a signature and not included in the quote. Just did some testing here and this seems to be the case when you are configured to compose your messages in plain text. ( Tools | Account settings | Composition and addressing ) When set to compose in html, there does not seem to be any dropping of the signature, and everything below the "-- " sequence is retained in the quote.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

Post by Guest »

Any chance of a smarter way of avoiding the issue? Kinda like both plain text and signatures :)

But thanx a lot! Nailed it.