Limit on Email file size?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
salkar

Limit on Email file size?

Post by salkar »

My son is attempting to send a movie file to me. I get a message that says file exceeds mailbox limit.
Is there a limit? How big is it? Can it be changed and, if so, how?

Thank you.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Its possible thunderbird has run into a limit, but I would suspect the message is due to your email server complaining that the message is too big. Many ISP mailboxs only store about 25Mb and may impose a limit on the maximum file size.

It would help if you post the exact error message, the movie file size, whatever you know about the limits on your ISP's mailbox, and what version of thunderbird you are running.

Worse case you could have your son (and yourself) use one of the free compression utilities that can break a file into 'n' parts and re-assemble it later. http://www.bigspeed.net/index.php?page=bszipper for example.

Post by Guest »

Thank you.

This is the message I received instead of the file my son was trying to send. He, the sender, received no message.

>Your message to salkar@wideopenwest.com was rejected due to the user exceeding its mailbox quota <

I sent a message similar to this one yesterday but I see no signs of it. Please pardon me if this is a duplicate.

Sal