Sending of e-mail not working

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ceccarp

Sending of e-mail not working

Post by ceccarp »

I have been trying to send e-mail on Thunderbird without any luck. The message I keep getting it this:
Sending of message failed.

Message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server
ncmail.netscape.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is
refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server
setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network
administrator.

As far as I know there are no Firewall protections on the computer I use, but I may be wrong. How would I check for the presence of a firewall??

And do I have the correct SMPT server for Netscape?

All help is appreciated. Thank you.

Cecile Carpenter
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you were able to fetch new email its not a firewall problem.

Normally I'd assume its a error configuring the SMTP server in tools->accounts. I've noticed that when this occurs you can get the wrong error message, so its possible you didn't set the user authentication right etc.

I assume you're talking about netscape netcenter mail. Are you able to fetch email from that account? There are several posts explaining why its not possible because it requires some proprietary software to authenticate you, POP or IMAP support is not sufficient. See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... scape+smtp

Perhaps the same proprietary authentication is need when sending (SMTP).
ceccarp

Post by ceccarp »

Yes, I'm talking about netcenter mail. I haven't been able to fetch from that account at all.

My primary account is through NetZero account and that fetches just fine. Thought I cannot send mail through TB. I wonder, if I set things up through the NetZero protacols would I be better served??
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't think you have a choice. NetZero should work with thunderbird (it appears to use standard protocols), netcenter won't.

NetZero appears to use pop.netzero.com for fetching mail and smtp.netzero.net for sending. If you have a problem getting thunderbirds smtp settings to work with netzero, I suggest you look at the tutorial for how to configure outlook express 6.0 with netzero, and figure out how to remap it to Thunderbids GUI.

http://www.netzero.net/support/email/em ... soex6.html

Post by Guest »

I guess that's the best I will be able to do. And I'll just have to go to the Netscape Netcenter to fetch my mail. Thanks for your help.

Cecile