Import mail from thunderb. in win98 to thunderb. in linux

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
pepsw

Import mail from thunderb. in win98 to thunderb. in linux

Post by pepsw »

I have run thunderbird in windows98 some time. Now I have installed linux (mandrake 9.2) on my computer also, and I will stay to thunderbird under linux to. So I want to import the mail och adresses from win to linux. How do I do that?

/peppe
agillator

Post by agillator »

The mail and the address book (I assume that is what you are speaking of) are in your profile. Your profile on Win98, unless you moved it, is in

c:\windows\application data\thunderbird\profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt,

where the xxxxxxxx is actually eight random alphnumeric characters. In your profile is the file abook.mab which is your address book. The directory 'mail' holds directories and files for your e-mail.

On linux, your profile will be in

~/.thunderbird/default/xxxxxxxx.slt

(again, eight random alphanumeric characters, but not the same eight). If all you want to do is move the address book and mail, replace the abook.mab file here with the one from Win98 and replace the mail directory with the one from Win98. If what you want is for both to use the same, let us know - the procedure is a little different.
There are two types of people in this field: those who have, and those who will.

Post by Guest »

I have a simmilar question/problem: i have copied all of my files from profile under XP to profile under linux, but when i launch thunderbird none of my old messages are there. All of the settings and address book entries copied succesfully.
agillator

Post by agillator »

You say the old messages are not there, but are not definite about everything else being there, and I don't know how much you know or don't know, so assuming . . . . Open thunderbird, go to TOOLS | ACCOUNT SETTINGS | SERVER SETTINGS (not outgoing server, but account server). Look at the LOCAL DIRECTORY box at the bottom. That is where T-Bird says your profile is. Go to that directory. Is that where you moved the files? Are they there? Are they the same as the files on XP? I would expect one of the answers to be 'no'. Let us know what you find.

By the way, if you have more than one account, you need to do this for each account.

I apologize if you already knew all of this and have done this, but we need to start somewhere.
There are two types of people in this field: those who have, and those who will.

Post by Guest »

Sure enough. So simple: All the settings transfered from XP succesfully including the local directory. Uhg I can't believe I didn't see that. It must be getting late. :(

Thanks for the help, and sorry for wasting your time with that one.

Post by Guest »

Thank you!

It workes fine now.

/p