Thunderbird with Linux on liveCD

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
SammyHall

Thunderbird with Linux on liveCD

Post by SammyHall »

Hi,

I've been using Knoppix a fair amount recently, and thought maybe I could unzip Thuderbird to a persistent folder on my FAT32 partition. Will I be able to us it as is, or should there be a new "install" everytime I boot up?

TIA

Sammy
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It depends upon your configuration.

If you're using Knoppix strictly as a live CD or if you copied the compressed Knoppix filesystem from the CD to your hard disk I don't believe it lets you install anything. However, if you installed knoppix on your hard disk you're fine - your're basicly running just another linux distro from your PC.

See http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqInstall for instructions on installing it on your hard disk.

Post by Guest »

Interestingly enough, it seems to work fine. Only thing is that no shortcuts to my folders on my FAT32 partition persist after reboot.
What I'm doing with both Thunderbird and Firebird is as follows:
I de-compress to folders named Firebird and Thunderbird created on my FAT32 partition, then I run the program from there. All changes reside in those folders, it only being necessary to remember the exact name of the startup file on the HD once Knoppix is booted. Results are optimum, for now, except that I don't know how to store persistent shortcuts. I think I shall keep them on the HD, too. Thanks feedback.
Sammy Hall