Help transferring e-mail from pc to mac

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Dan Paton

Help transferring e-mail from pc to mac

Post by Dan Paton »

I have recently purchased a mac powerbook g3 and need to transfer my mail over from my compaq presario. I have copied the files into my documents folder on the mac, but when I try to import mail, it only gives me the option of importing from a mail program I've never used. How do I get these e-mails and folders into the thunderbird application on the mac?

<strong>Edit:</strong> <em>This message was originally posted with a guest username of the poster's email address. This has been changed, at his request, to Dan Paton to minimise spam. - Alex</em>
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

It depends upon what email client you created the mail with. What did you use? Does it have any commands to export email?

Thunderbird knows how to import Outlook Express and Mozilla/Netscape Communicator email. It stores all of the email for a folder in a single file using the mbox format. This is sometimes called unix format in some email clients, but a good number of windows email clients use it too. If you can export your mail using that format (or convert to that format) you can just copy the file to your local folders directory in your profile and Thunderbird will discover it.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

By the way, you normally don't want to post your email address on the net as its likely to result in your getting lots of SPAM.

Post by Guest »

Got it taken care of. Thanks for the help. Don't even know how to change the way my name appears here. Didn't realize it would show the email address.