Opening web links in Thunderbird 0.4 with Windows XP

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DaOneJT

Opening web links in Thunderbird 0.4 with Windows XP

Post by DaOneJT »

I might be acting really dumb here but why can't you just click on a URL in an e-mail to go to that site in your browser?
I didn't have any trouble when I was using Moz 1.4 on linux but I'm stuck with windows most of the time and I don't want to use outlook express.
When I click a link in an email like "http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/userprefs.cgi " I get a dialog which asks me how I want to open this file.
I don't want to open it on my machine obviously but this is what i get in the IE address bar "C:\Documents and Settings\Jamie Taylor\Local Settings\Temp\userprefs.cgi.htm".
Is Thunderbird downloading the page onto my hard drive then opening it or am I doing something wrong.
THis seems totally bizarre for such a fundimental feature to behave this way.
What am I doing wrong.
I don't want to go back to Outlook Express, please don't make me :'(

Help

Jamie T
Walter, guest

Post by Walter, guest »

What's your browser?

Post by Guest »

This just happened to me while I was using Thunderbird and Firebird. I was told to make sure that both programs were chosen to be the default handler for email and browser. THAT was my problem. Firebird for some reason did not have a check mark in the default browser preference. Hope this solves your problem.
Neeter
Walter, guest

Post by Walter, guest »

In Windows XP SP1 you have to set defaults as posted:
Anonymous wrote:Tried it but doesn't work. However, found a solution. In XP there is an option in Add/Remove Programs to "Set Program Access and Defaults." In that option you can set your default web browser and email program. That worked. Thanks for your suggestion.
DaOneJT

Re: What browser

Post by DaOneJT »

IE 6 on win xp pro

Is sp 1 worth getting then?
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Wether you should get and install SP1 is up to you. Wether you want to patch a lot of bugs and get a lot of security issues fixed is up to you.
I would.
DaOneJT

Post by DaOneJT »

"Tried it but doesn't work. However, found a solution. In XP there is an option in Add/Remove Programs to "Set Program Access and Defaults." In that option you can set your default web browser and email program. That worked. Thanks for your suggestion. "

In my version of xp pro I can't find this option anywhere.
I'm currently downloading sp1 so hopefully that will help

Post by Guest »

Thanks for all the help but I gave up and just installed Mozilla 1.5
Everything works as expected now