nickname confusion

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ratman

nickname confusion

Post by ratman »

i'm a little confused about this whole nickname thing. what exactly are nicknames for? i typed a few nicknames for address book entries i had created and/or imported in the "to:" line for composing e-mails, but they never resolved to the e-mail address they're supposed to represent - my mail server gave me a bunch of "invalid address" errors because i was passing it only one word instead of a full address.

if i can't use nicknames to replace full addresses when i'm sending e-mails, what good are they? eudora has never given me this problem, it resolves nicknames as soon as i move the cursor away from the "to:" line. i'm considering switching over, but it would take years to break this nickname habit.
this sig
is not
three lines long.
Old psaulm119

Post by Old psaulm119 »

ratman, WFM in TB 0.4. Do you have a current version? Perhaps that was a bug that has been fixed.

I'm not too sure what isn't working--or better yet, what you have done. On the address book cards for people that you want nicknames for, do you have both a nickname and a legitimate email address? When I type in nicknames (or even the first name of the person I'm emailing) in the TO field of an email, I get either the person I want, or a list of possible recipients. If I simply press the TAB bar, I move on and the recipient's full email address is automatically entered. Just trying to figure out what you're looking at here.

HTH.
genghis86

Post by genghis86 »

WFM? what's that?
Old psaulm119

Post by Old psaulm119 »

short for "works for me."
ratman

Post by ratman »

well, maybe there's something wrong with my installation, because i'm running the 0.4 milestone build, and when i type a nickname into the "to:" field and hit return and/or tab, nothing happens. and yes, all of my address book entries have real names, nicknames, and full e-mail addresses.

very confusing. i was going to start recommending thunderbird because of enigmail, but maybe that's premature.
this sig
is not
three lines long.

Post by Guest »

barring different advice from other forum regulars, deleting TB and then re-installing it sounds like a pretty decent approach. I've also seen some folks talk about creating a new profile as a solution to those things that just won't work--you might do a search here and see what you come up with.

Tell ya the truth, TB has been by far teh most stable of teh Mozilla aps, and it has run incredibly smoothly on my system. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.