one group of folders like outlook express?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
homer j

one group of folders like outlook express?

Post by homer j »

Hello,
I'm a new user trying to get started with TB - I've just imported all my outlook express folders. I have two different servers from which I get mail - with outlook express I click send/receive and it gets mail from both servers and places them into my single inbox (or appropriate folders if there's a rule to do so).

After importing into TB I have automatically three inboxes - the two from the different servers plus TB's own. I don't want this of course, I only want one inbox etc. Is this possible to have this setup like it worked in Outlook Express?

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere in the forum.

Thanks for any help.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You could write a message filter to copy all email from the two accounts inbox to a child folder in one of your local folders. That folder would become your new inbox.

Any folders that you imported that aren't being used by a server you can move/rename. You can even move them to a different account.

I thought if you imported a single account from Outlook Express thunderbird would copy Outlook Expresses personal folders to the local folders, but use thunderbirds own inbox for the account. So I'm confused how importing 2 accounts turned into 3 sets of inbox/local folders.
genghis86

Post by genghis86 »

I have same concern.
I tried message filter, but without any luck. Even if it does succeed, is it possible to remove these folders completely?

Post by Guest »

If this is the case then TB is not for me. Pity! Outlook Express handles this without a problem - I don't imagine my situation would be that unique.
Homer J

Post by Homer J »

my reply above, I forgot to fill in the username.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You need to have a seperate inbox for each account as far as I know. I only use one account so I'm not the best person to answer.

What was the problem with the message filters? You couldn't select a folder in a different account as the target, or they didn't seem to do anything, or ....?
genghis86

Post by genghis86 »

They did not seem to do anything.
I am having problems with Junk Mail controls as well, this training I gave it seems to move all mail to Junk. And it cannot even pick up obvious spam where the "To:" header field does not contain my e-mail address. I had to set up a message filter for that.
I don't know about you, but I am back to OE.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Check you enabled the message filters. Tools->filters shows two columns. The rightmost one is labeled enabled. If the message filter shows a dot rather than a checkmark, click on the dot to enable it.

Message filters normally only work on incoming new email. However, you can use 'tools->run filters on folders' to help debug your settings.

Personally I use a email provider that provides SpamAssassin and the Sieve mail filtering language to do my spam filtering. You could try installing Mailwasher as a addon. http://www.mailwasher.net/
genghis86

Post by genghis86 »

I can install 2797 addons for hotmail, yahoo, spam, etc. Perfect e-mail client would be that does that all above for me :)
I hope Thunderbird soon become...
Daren Dahl

Post by Daren Dahl »

Note that due to a bug some of the message filters are case sensitive. This kept my filters from working for quite some time.