importing mail from thunderbird -> mozilla mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
paulwb

importing mail from thunderbird -> mozilla mail

Post by paulwb »

Hi,

I just changed from Windows to Debian Linux a few Months ago. And as I used Firebird and Thunderbird on Windows I continued using Firebird with Debian. But now I notices that on Debian (with KDE as WM) the 'normal' Mozilla is much faster.
Now I have two problems...

But is there any way to run Thunderbird (and Firebird) and Mozilla at once?
I alway get an error if I want to start Mozilla and I have Thunderbird or Firebird opened yet.

Saying:
Error launching browser window: TypeError:
Component.classes['@mozilla.org/appshell/component/browser/instance;1'] has no properties

The other problem, a bit more important I think...

Is there a way to export the Thunderbird-Mail to Mozilla Mail?
I tried it with just copying the Mail and ImapMail Folder to the Mozilla-Folder, but it didn't work.

Thx very much.
Paul.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

1. You can run Mozilla, Thunderbird, and Firebird at the same time as long as they all use different profiles.

2. You need to create a new mail profile using Mozilla and then copy the contents of your old thunderbird mail profile to the new profile. This way Mozilla can find (and recognize) the data. You'll need to edit the mail profiles's prefs.js to reflect the new pathnames.

http://www.texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html#q2.2 describes how to go the opposite direction. Same basic idea.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Do not copy the setting files - I think they are a bit different.
Mail/News works fine
cookiefiles also work
and passwords/udersname are stored in a .s-file in Mozilla - that is a number and the extension .s.
Copy that to Firebird and rename it to signons.txt.
paulwb

Post by paulwb »

@tanstaafl: Thx very much, I'll try this regarding my mail files.

1. You can run Mozilla, Thunderbird, and Firebird at the same time as long as they all use different profiles.

Firebird & Mozilla works - no Problem. Thunderbird & Mozilla doesn't. I created a new profile for Mozilla and it still doesn't work. Well, I can start Thunderbird running Mozilla at the same time, but I cannot run Mozilla having started Thunderbird yet.

@Dunderklumpen, thx, too. But I don't want to move to Firebird, I want to move back to Mozilla ;-). Anyway, in Firebird you have those 48932954.s-Files, too containing the user names and passwords base64 encoded.

Saludo
paul.