can anyone help me? i'm having send glitches in thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird

can anyone help me? i'm having send glitches in thunderbird

Post by Guest »

Hi Mozilla folks-
Sorry to bother y'all. I'm having major glitches with my thunderbird app., and am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on the subject.
Lately, when I try and send mail from thunderbird, i get a pop-up telling me that my connection with my mail server was refused, and the message was unable to be sent. But in fact, it is sending the messages- or rather, it's sending some of the messages, so I can't tell whether or not my emails are getting sent. Also, I could send mail from mozilla without a problem, so I don't think it was the server. Now today I turned it on, and it worked fine, but I'm worried, and want to know what's going on with it. If anyone has any ideas, they would me most appreciated
thanks much
tim
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Not seeing this here, with build listed below.

If you can provide info on the operating system and build you are using, perhaps somebody will have some suggestions. Check Help | About and copy the id string it displays to a post here.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

Post by Guest »

Doug-
thanks very much...

i'm running OS X on a Mac G4,

that's the id string for my copy of thunderbird:
Mozilla Thunderbird 0.4 (20031205)
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I won't be able to help since I've not seen the problem. But one question does come to mind:

Do you have more than one account set up in your TBird? Do you perhaps see the problem when sending from one account but not another?
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

Similar Send errors

Post by Guest »

I'm seeing something very similar on every send.
- The 'Sending Messaging...' dialogue box says 'Message Sent Successfully'.
- I get a 'Send Message Error' alert box that says the send failed because
connecting to the SMTP server failed.

However, the message is sent successfully. I just can't get the message into my sent folder because TB assumes it failed. I'm trying to switch to TB from Outlook, with no change in ISP or SMTP server. Outlook sends fine without complaints.

Using version 0.4.
thx,
bn

Post by Guest »

hey doug-
nope... just the one account set-up
*sigh*

if anyone has a suggestion, i'd love to hear it
many thanks
-t
pirouette

Post by pirouette »

I've been getting this problem today for the first time. I have multiple accounts but a single smtp. I've worked around it by sending from a webmail account. Just a temporary solution, but with assignments due for school it's the best I could do.

I'm running Thunderbird 0.4 (20031205), windows xp.

I'll be checking back here again in case anything useful pops up.

~allegro
pirouette

Post by pirouette »

hmmm it's working again...

weirddd
Dance first. Think later. It's the natural order. ~Samuel Beckett
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I have a *guess*, and a guess only.

Could be a timing issue. If the response from your server is unusually slow, perhaps it triggers the popup warning, but if the response from the server is received soon thereafter the processing continues.
Doug Wilson

Post by Guest »

Doug,
Thanks for the guess, but that doesn't fit my symptoms.
> The failure happens every time, whether I send a 512KB attachment or a 4 byte message.
> The failure popup appears after the message has been sent, just as the progress bar
finishes
> Single account, only one smtp address specified.
> I tried the 0.5a nightly last night with no luck.
> Outlook always sends w/o complaint, TB always 'fails' (tho message is sent)
thx,
bn

Post by Guest »

Hi Y'all-

So this is getting really strange.. now thunderbird won't send word attachments... only jpegs.. i tried sending through my hotmail account, and also through my mozilla app, and both worked fine.. any ideas?
-t
hungkh

Post by hungkh »

I am no expert but what about receive email, then do the send email? Some server expects that.

Post by Guest »

Well, my complaint as noted in a couple of posts above has been resolved. I'd been using mailhost.chi.ameritech.net without success. That is, messages would go out but TB would complain that the send failed. Then I noticed a Neil Parks post mentioning smtp.ameritech.net. So I switched, enabled authentication, and all is working just fine.
-bn

PS: Still, it seems like TB is overly fussy about some incidental SMTP condition. After all, the message was being sent successfully. And other mail programs, such as Outlook, haven't complained...