deleting messages from mailservers and filtering attachments

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Rankin

deleting messages from mailservers and filtering attachments

Post by Rankin »

Hi there.

I got two questions.

First one: Is it possible to set the message filter to delete special messages from the server without downloading them? If it is, how do i do this?

Second one: Is it possible to filter messages by attachments? I want to delete all messages with attachments at one email account and just some attachments at another. Therefore it would be nice if it was possible to delete all messages with an attachment called "filename.filetype" or something. Can I filter messages by attachments?

Rankin
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

1. Not to my knowledge.

You best bet is to use a email provider that supports 'rules' on the server that you can set to either filter SPAM, or organize incoming email as desired. This occurs indepedently of you checking for new mail/downloading new mail. Some email providers let you customize the rules using Sieve, a mail filtering language.

2. Maybe. But it could not be quaranteed to work 100% of the time.

There is no obvious support, it has no knowledge of attachments. I tried creating a message filter where I tested for the custom header "filename" because that appears in the message source when I include an attachment. It took it, but refused to let me complete the filter. When I look at the actual headers its clear that "filename=" is embedded in the body, not the headers. Thunderbirds message filters have no support for testing the message body.

What you could do is test for Content-Type, which is part of the header. Its normally equal to things like multipart/mixed, multipart/alternative, multipart/mixed, text/html, or text/plain . I suspect that if there is an attachment the Content-Type is likely to be one of the multipart ones.

So you might be able to write message filters that delete all message with attachments from a specific user. Its unclear how many false positives (rejecting something thats mixed because it has both a text and a html version but no attachment) you'll get, your best bet is to experiment. It might work well if the sender's email client only uses certain MIME types. However, you can't test against the filename.

You might want to check out "The Bat!, Mulberry, Becky Internet Mail or Pocomail. I suspect they have the most powerfull filtering (ignoring spam filtering). Thunderbirds filtering is pretty crippled.

I'm using 0.5a (20040120)

Post by Guest »

OK, thank you for your help!
A friend of mine adviced me to try the bat, too. This part of Thunderbird could really be a bit better :/
Well, let's see.

Rankin