Move deleted messages to the Trash under Local Folders

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
soofsoof

Move deleted messages to the Trash under Local Folders

Post by soofsoof »

How can I make Thunderbird move deleted messages to the "Trash" folder which is under "Local Folders" and not to the "Trash" under my mail account? This is very important, as my mail account has limited storage, and I like to save trash for more than one session...
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Are you using POP or IMAP? If it's POP, the trash folder is on your hard drive and not on the server. If it's IMAP, open the trash folder, select all (Ctrl-A), and move to local trash.

Post by Guest »

I am using POP, yet, deleted files are automatically moved to the Trash on the remote server and not in the Local Folders. Of course, I can Copy-Paste them to the local trash, but isn't there an automatic way to do that? Such that when I delete a message it is moved to the local trash?
soofsoof

Post by soofsoof »

Any new ideas for my question? How can I choose the folder to which my deleted messages go?
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

If you are using POP then the deleted msgs are on your local disk and not the server. All your mail folders are on your local drive whether they are labeled "local" or not. (IMAP works differently.)

Post by Guest »

So, you mean that even though I see them in the trash under the remote server and not in the trash under local folders, they are actually local? If so, I think this should be reported as a "bug" - they should also APPEAR in the local trash, and there should be no trash folder under the remote server when using POP.

Anyway, thank a lot for the answer.