"Edit draft"? Double-click opens reply?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
unsolicited

"Edit draft"? Double-click opens reply?

Post by unsolicited »

Can anyone tell me what I've done / what extension is causing these?

Standard 3 pane (MS Windows) - folders on left, message list on top, preview at bottom.

1) Why do I have an edit draft button on the preview pane, far right side, next to mailer's logo?

2) When I double click a message, it comes up as though I am replying, instead of just opening the message?

Thanks.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Does it react the same in safe mode?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode

If things work correctly, it IS an extension (or possibly your theme if you aren't using the default Thunderbird theme). Disable your extensions, one at a time, restarting Thunderbird between and see when function returns to normality. The last extension you disable is the culprit and needs to be updated / uninstalled.

And seriously, without listing your extensions, how could we possibly guess which one it could be? :D
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
unsolicited

Post by unsolicited »

> And seriously, without listing your extensions, how could we possibly guess which one it could be?

'cause maybe you just happen to be someone who uses the same extension and can recall which one I'm experiencing.

Thanks for your note. I guess you're not such a someone.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Do you want help or not? List your extensions if you do.

Being rude won't help you get help.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

unsolicited wrote:Thanks for your note. I guess you're not such a someone.

Nope, I would have long ago abandoned an extension that caused a ruckus like that. Seriously, list your extensions and we'll see if we can spot which one it is. If you have too many to list, just take a screenshot of the extensions window and upload it to imageshack. Then post the pic here.

Did you even try safe mode to see if the behavior stopped?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Or use the InfoLister extension
unsolicited

Post by unsolicited »

Thanks for your note.

I intend to check safe mode, and thanks for the reminder to do so (I should have thought of that myself). Let me get back to you on that.

> Nope, I would have long ago abandoned an extension that caused a ruckus like that.

Of course, that's part of the problem. I no longer remember, still being relatively new to Thunderbird, what is a 'ruckus' and what isn't. One of the first things you see, as a new TB user, is both look at all the nifty extensions available, and, you mean it doesn't do that natively and I have to add an extension for that? So, I ended up starting TB 'life' with a dozen or more extensions. Only now am I running into "Why is it doing this?" on some things.

Thank you again for your note. Continuing the effort to help, listing the extensions, etc., is very much appreciated.

Let me get back to you.
unsolicited

Post by unsolicited »

[quote="Daifne"]Do you want help or not? List your extensions if you do.

Being rude won't help you get help.[/quote]

I wasn't, actually.

Or, at least, no more so than:

> And seriously, without listing your extensions, how could we possibly guess which one it could be?
Last edited by unsolicited on January 17th, 2007, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unsolicited

Post by unsolicited »

[quote="Daifne"]Or use the [url=http://mozilla.doslash.org/infolister]InfoLister[/url] extension[/quote]

Hey!

Thanks for that.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

You missed my :) Without it, yeah, it could come off as rude. I was being "California blond"... "So, like, seriously, how can we help if we don't have all the facts?"

How did safe mode turn out?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
unsolicited

Post by unsolicited »

Interesting.

Using 'Mozilla Thunderbird (No Extensions)', which runs '"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -safe-mode', which according to the referenced http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode should run in safe mode, I observe the same behaviour. Which is to say:

1) Why do I have an edit draft button on the preview pane, far right side, next to mailer's logo?

2) When I double click a message, it comes up as though I am replying, instead of just opening the message?

But, the reference link notes that the extension list should come up greyed out. They do not when I start in this mode. However, I see that the 'sort extensions' extension is not showing its button.

(smsmith) could you please confirm that this is aberrant behaviour?

(I guess I should be looking at the options/preferences then.)

Any ideas of where to look at this point?

InfoLister shows:

Last updated: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 05:12:34 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061207 Thunderbird/1.5.0.9
Extensions (enabled: 38, disabled: 0):

* accountex [multilingual] 0.2.2
* compactfolder 0.0.6
* ConfigDate 0.3.8
* Contacts Sidebar 0.6
* Correct Identity 1.3
* Display Mail User Agent Extension 1.3
* Edit Config Files 1.5.8
* Event-to-task conversion activator 0.0.2
* Folder Account 0.5
* Folderpane Tools 0.0.5
* Forumzilla 0.5.6
* GDirections 1.0.0
* GMailUI 0.5
* header scroll extension 0.3.1
* Identity Select 1.0
* InfoLister 0.9f
* keyconfig 20060828
* Lightning 0.3
* Lightning Multiweek View 0.0.2
* ltnToggler 0.1
* NewsWorthy for Thunderbird 1.5 0.2.0.4
* Purge! 0.2
* Reply In Group 0.0.05
* Sender Verification Extension 0.8.1
* Shift-Delete Controller 0.2.5
* Signature Switch 1.4
* SmartSave Thunderbird Extension 0.1.3
* SMSalias MozClient 1.0.4
* Sort Extensions and Themes 3.0.2
* Stacked View Extension 1.0.3
* Status Buttons 1.0
* Sun Cult 1.0.20061106
* Sync Kolab 0.4.23
* Talkback 1.5.0.9
* Unselect Message 1.3
* Update Notifier 0.1.5.2
* URL Link 2.00.1
* ViewSourceWith 0.0.8.39

Themes (1):

* Thunderbird (default) 2.0 [selected]

Plugins (0):
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

If you really ran safe mode, and it sounds like you did NOT, the extensions WILL be grayed out.

After seeing such a huge list, I can see why you are getting "aberrant" (good strong word, I like it! :) ). With that many installed, something is bound to conflict. At this point, I am suspecting Reply in Group as one of the causes, because the behavior is the message comes up as a reply when you double click it. Possibly also Header Scroll Extension.

So, do this. Tools -> Extensions. Disable the extension at the top of the list. Close and restart Thunderbird. Check for bad behavior. If bad behavior is still present, disable the next extension in the list. Close and restart Thunderbird. The last extension you disable before the behavior stops is your culprit. Enable all the other ones and leave that one DISABLED until an update comes out.
unsolicited

Post by unsolicited »

Thank you.

I hear you.

This is why I was hoping someone who knew which was doing this spoke up. I recognize that this is the necessary process, and it is self-evident that the last extension is the culprit. But I find it unacceptable that this is necessary. Unavoidable, but unacceptable.

All due to the very contradiction that Thunderbird represents: a core set of functionality that gets beaten to death to be rock solid, contradicted by an inadquate core functionality. I feel sorry for the non-computer techie user.

It is ridiculous that an extension is needed: to display an icon for the mailer of the sender (really cool extension, for example, identifying when a person who complains of malformated e-mail is being sent Outlook RTF but isn't using Outlook); to be able to scroll and see the header information being presented; to have a calendar, or an extension is needed to tuck the contact information out of the way; to specify which e-mail account to come from; to compact folders in a user-friendly way; to ... any number of other things. Including that at least one extension comes installed by default, and others are 'needed' to be able to get help with itself.

I get 'different strokes for different folks'. I get that extensions are built by different parties, not the core, and the core is not responsible for making sure that all extensions play nice with each other.

But it's still disheartening that this process is necessary in this day and age.

<sigh>

> If you really ran safe mode, and it sounds like you did NOT, the extensions WILL be grayed out.

I really ran safe mode. I agree, safe mode did not result. Suggestions? (As to how to run safe mode?)

I'll get back to you on whether the extensions you think might be the culprit, are.

Sounds like the easiest way, particularly given the necessary restart, is to empty them all out, and bring them back in, one by one. <sigh>

At least I now know about InfoLister, so can track what was there.
unsolicited

Post by unsolicited »

Great.

All extensions manually disabled. (Greyed out.) Started in safe-mode.

'Edit draft' button still present. Double-click comes up in reply mode, not read mode.

Suggestions?
smsmith

Re: "Edit draft"? Double-click opens reply?

Post by smsmith »

unsolicited wrote:Can anyone tell me what I've done / what extension is causing these?

Standard 3 pane (MS Windows) - folders on left, message list on top, preview at bottom.

Thanks.

I'm a twit. It's because you are in the drafts folder. If not, then you have somehow moved a draft into the Inbox or whatever folder. Does it happen on every single message? In every single folder?

I say I'm a twit, because that is NORMAL behavior, as long as you are in the drafts folder or looking at a "draft" message.
Last edited by smsmith on January 18th, 2007, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.