Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 2 Feedback Thread

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
mscott

Post by mscott »

Sean_P wrote:Message tags don't survive a move across IMAP folders.

All my messages are stored on an IMAP server, and I wanted to try the new tagging feature to set up an archive system like gmail, so I tagged some messages in a couple of small folders with a new tag corresponding to the folder name, and verified that I saw the tag in the header display when viewing an individual message. I then moved the messages to a newly created "archive" folder on the same IMAP server, but when I look at the messages they now show no tags. Is this an expected behavior?

I realize that the tags are likely to be stored on the local machine and not the IMAP server, and I'm ok with that, but I would have expected the tags to follow the message at least on the same machine. I have not tried to replicate this using local folders.

Actually if your IMAP server supports it, tags are stored as keywords on the imap server.

Using beta 2, I'm also able to move tagges messages from imap to local and the tags are preserved. imap folder to imap folder is also working for me with my server that supports keywords. I know some of those things didn't work in beta 1, any chance you are still running beta 1?
Thunderbirds are Go!
mscott

Post by mscott »

Hobbsee wrote:The one bug i've spotted is that you cant drag and drop a mail from one folder to another anymore. (in imap mail, may be in pop3 too).

I'll have to find my login to bugzilla at some point...

Are you running on Linux? Could you be seeing Bug 367203 if so?
Thunderbirds are Go!
manicdog

Send Message -> Window Remains "Ghosted"

Post by manicdog »

I'll send a message, receive the confirmation that it is sending and then the window will ghost and stick around. Clicking on the window will make a system beep. Only way to get rid of it is to close Thunderbird.

Using: version 2 beta 2 (20070116)
Windows: XP Pro
manicdog

Spell Check - Picking Up HTML Code?

Post by manicdog »

I'm using an HTML signature. For some reason, the spell check is picking up pieces of code within the HTML file attached to as the signature.

Version: version 2 beta 2 (20070116)
XP Pro
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

Hmmm, maybe I totally misunderstood what this does and what is actually new here.
The C++ code essentially just adds the values of certain headers (specified in a pref setting) to the msf file so they can be displayed.
This does not seem to do anything to allow an extension to set an arbitrary metadata value for a message -- does such an api already exist? If not, this patch does not do anything to give extension programmers that feature.

I think the explanation ("and store custom fields in the mail database") in the release notes are a bit misleading in this respect (unless of course, this had been working already in prior releases and I just do not know how).

The reason I am interested in this is because I see plenty of possibilities for interesting extensions if it would be possible for an extension to just associate arbitrary metadata with messages *after* they already are stored in a folder.

This patch just stores a value from an existing email header at the time the message is parsed, as far as I understand.

Maybe I should move my question to the extension developers forum ...

PS: once I know enough about this I could help with the docs, though I am not a native speaker, so beware ... :)
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
Sean_P

Post by Sean_P »

mscott wrote:
Sean_P wrote:Message tags don't survive a move across IMAP folders.

All my messages are stored on an IMAP server, and I wanted to try the new tagging feature to set up an archive system like gmail, so I tagged some messages in a couple of small folders with a new tag corresponding to the folder name, and verified that I saw the tag in the header display when viewing an individual message. I then moved the messages to a newly created "archive" folder on the same IMAP server, but when I look at the messages they now show no tags. Is this an expected behavior?

I realize that the tags are likely to be stored on the local machine and not the IMAP server, and I'm ok with that, but I would have expected the tags to follow the message at least on the same machine. I have not tried to replicate this using local folders.

Actually if your IMAP server supports it, tags are stored as keywords on the imap server.

Using beta 2, I'm also able to move tagges messages from imap to local and the tags are preserved. imap folder to imap folder is also working for me with my server that supports keywords. I know some of those things didn't work in beta 1, any chance you are still running beta 1?

No, it's definitely beta 2. I'm using Fusemail as my IMAP provider, is there any easy way to figure out what IMAP features their server supports? Perhaps some logging I can enable?

Thanks.
Phil_C

Post by Phil_C »

Hello All
I like the new Thunderbird but there are a couple of things that I would like to see added.

1) Ability to turn off the "Folders view". I find this feature useless and only takes up screen space.

2) Ability to mark a message as "replied to". I know I can use a tag for this but it would be preferable to have a "Replied" appear in the "Status" column.

3) When an email is sent to the "Junk" folder or to the "Trash" would it be possible to mark it as read automatically?

4) Please allow the email notification to be shrank back down to the old size. Also please allow the duration the notification is on the screen to be changed.

Obviously with perhaps the exception of #1 these are personal requests of mine and may or may not be useful to anyone else. Whatever is added or not I will certainly be continuing to use Mozilla products.

Regards

Phil
RLSpencer

Toolbar customization error

Post by RLSpencer »

Just installed beta 2, and with a brand spanking new profile and no extra extensions or anything else...

Started TBird beta 2 for the first time, right clicked the toolbar to customize, cancelled my changes... now I can't customize the toolbars as customize is now disabled, and the main menu is completely disabled.

It seems that I can only use customize once per session. After I close customize by either cancelling or clicking done, then the customize menu item and the main program menu are disabled until Thunderbird is rebooted.

Also, this isn't a bug but a wish.... it would be nice to be able to add an extra toolbar to the main window as you can with Firefox. I prefer to use toolbar buttons, and would like a second toolbar where I can stash some lesser used buttons, and hide it until needed. Ideally, I could also put a button on the menu bar that would allow me to open and close this second toolbar as needed.
Al_H

Old bug "reappearing"

Post by Al_H »

Hi,

I have been using TB2.0b2 for 3 months now and kept updating releases in my laptop with no problem whatsoever.

However, I have installed TB2.0b2 in a totally new desktop with the extensions listed below and I am suffering from several inconveniences as follows:

a) Under the status bar, a wide bar appears with the following: I believe this was a bug in early versions on TB 1.X

QUOTE _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _<menuitem>Privacy...., but there is no image options or tab within

c) My error console appears full of messages as follows: (the following are appear only after start up)

[QUOTE]
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Could not convert JavaScript argument" nsresult: "0x80570009 (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_CONVERT_JS)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://folderaccount/content/folderAccount.xul :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 206" data: no]

No chrome package registered for chrome://birthdayreminder/skin/overlay.css .

Error: toolbarButton has no properties
Source File: chrome://optionsmenu/content/OptionsMenu.js
Line: 29

No chrome package registered for chrome://folderaccount/locale/folderAccount.properties .

No chrome package registered for chrome://folderaccount/locale/folderAccount.properties .

Warning: Unrecognized at-rule or error parsing at-rule '@font-face'.
Source File: mailbox:///C|/Documents%20and%20Settings/administrator/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/k1akkxjm.default/Mail/pop.caret.net/HQ.sbd/Internal%20Mail?number=9894
Line: 34

Warning: Unknown property 'mso-style-type'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: mailbox:///C|/Documents%20and%20Settings/administrator/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/k1akkxjm.default/Mail/xxxxx.xxxxx.net/HQ.sbd/Internal%20Mail?number=9894
Line: 49

Warning: Expected end of value for property but found 'none'. Error in parsing value for property 'text-decoration'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: mailbox:///C|/Documents%20and%20Settings/administrator/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/k1akkxjm.default/Mail/xxxxx.xxxxxx.net/HQ.sbd/Internal%20Mail?number=9894
Line: 54

Warning: Unknown property 'mso-style-type'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: mailbox:///C|/Documents%20and%20Settings/administrator/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/k1akkxjm.default/Mail/xxxxx.xxxxxx.net/HQ.sbd/Internal%20Mail?number=9894
Line: 56

Warning: Expected end of value for property but found 'none'. Error in parsing value for property 'text-decoration'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: mailbox:///C|/Documents%20and%20Settings/administrator/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/k1akkxjm.default/Mail/xxxxx.xxxxx.net/HQ.sbd/Internal%20Mail?number=9894
Line: 61

Warning: Unrecognized at-rule or error parsing at-rule '@page'.
Line: 62
[/UNQUOTE]

The system and list of extensions installed are as follows:

Application: Thunderbird 2.0b2 (2007011615)
Operating System: WINNT (x86-msvc)

Total number of items: 20

- Attachment Sizes 0.0.5 - Auto Zip Attachments for Thunderbird 0.5.1 - Birthday Reminder 1.0.3.1 - British English Dictionary 1.19
- Buttons! 0.5.2 - Contacts Sidebar 0.6+ - Diccionario de Español/España 1.1 - Dictionary Switcher 0.8- Dictionnaire MySpell en Français (réforme 1990) 1.0.1- Extension List Dumper 1.7.1- Extension Manager Extended 2.5.4- Folder Account 0.6- Lightning 0.3.1pre- Mail Redirect 0.7.4- Options Menu 1.3- Purge! 0.4- Show Address 0.0.3- Show InOut 0.2.1- Signature Switch 1.4.1- Talkback 2.0b2

Thanks in advance for your help

Al_H
matp75

Post by matp75 »

the see menu (voir in french) is too big, see screenshot here http://dl.free.fr/e9kRQHCv/thunderbird-voir-too-big.png
[BISI]

Post by [BISI] »

Al_H: Your extensions aren't compatible with the latest Thunderbird development release. According to your error console output, you should be disabling the folder account extension, the birthday reminder extension and the options menu extension. Warnings like "Warning: Unknown property 'mso-style-type'. Declaration dropped." represent difficulties in parsing some css rule (mso-style-type is a non-standard css declaration commonly viewed in e-mails composed by Microsoft Word, which isn't supported by Thunderbird).
I like chickens. Lots of them. Every day.
Al_H

Post by Al_H »

BISI,

Thanks for the feedback.

Already disabled the extensions...., but the puzzling thing is that they do work in the laptop
The "_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _menu item", has also dissapeard once the buttons extension has been disabled, but again that one works with no problem in my other system
Finally, I continue not being able to access the image download selection..., it seems that the Options->Privacy lacks the "general" tab within

Al_H
Klint

Post by Klint »

Hello

It is sad for me to see that but <A href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=359933">359933</a> has not been solved yet ! This has been a regression in TB for a while, since 1.0 !!
This bug is about not being able to remember passwords for proxy authentication where the proxy welcome message contains non-ascii characters. Which happens in a lot of non-English corporate networks.

Thanks for considering it for inclusion in TB2 if it is not too late.
[BISI]

Post by [BISI] »

Al_H: Are you sure that you're using the same Thunderbird builds and the same extension versions?
I like chickens. Lots of them. Every day.
Dux

Post by Dux »

In todays build (20070131) I found out that the text in the subject line is being spell checked even if
'Options, Composition, Spelling, Enable spell check as you type' is not on.
Dux

Win2K, latest nightly