Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Beta 2 Feedback Thread

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Neff

Post by Neff »

This may not be a bug, but it doesn't work as I expect it to.

I have a mail folder displayed using the grouped view (today, yesterday etc.) and TB allows me to select the group header and then right click and select "mark as read". This doesn't actually do anything. I would expect it to mark all mails in the group as read.

If it's not supposed to the right click options should be disabled on the group headers.
tomgally

Continuing IMAP problems

Post by tomgally »

Two problems I noted in the Beta 1 forum on Dec. 18 still exist in Beta 2:

> (1) Sometimes when I hit the "Get mail" button or do the corresponding
> key command (command + shift + T) I get the following alert:
> Alert
> The operation failed because an other operation is
> using the folder. Please wait for that operation to finish
> and then try again.

Even the misspelling is still there ("an other"). And it is still unclear what "the folder" and "that operation" refer to.

> (2) When I check for new mail on an IMAP account ... the status messages at the bottom of the
> screen appear and disappear so quickly that I often can't even read them.

And there's a new problem. According to the announcement for Beta 2, the IMAP quota is supposed to appear in the status bar. I didn't see anything for a couple of days, and then this morning it appeared for a while together with messages, which had to be repeatedly dismissed before they would go away for good, telling me that I was at 94% of my quota. (Which seemed strange, as I had been at 55% the day before and hadn't received or sent any huge mail that I can recall.) In any case, I cleared out some my e-mail boxes and reduced the quota, as shown in the Properties window, to 64%. But now the quota no longer appears in the status bar.

I am now using TB2b2 (20070116) on Mac OS X 10.4.8.
vanbroup

Post by vanbroup »

bbendick wrote:I've had this problem since before Thunderbird 1.0. 500 seems to about the cap. You can do more, but it takes an extremely long time. As you get to 1000 or over, it just completely freezes until you kill the process.

And have you also the problem with 2.0b2?
rosbif73

Post by rosbif73 »

mscott wrote:Tools / Toolbars / Customize to add a mail views widget to your toolbar

Is there currently a way to add threads with unread (and watched threads with unread, for good measure) to that widget? If not, could it be considered as an enhancement?
NickJH

Post by NickJH »

From the Beta 2 RC1 thread:

NickJH wrote:Applying a filter with actions:
1 - Set Junk Status to Junk
2 - Move message to .......
moves the message but does not set the junk flag automatically on receipt of mail. It works if I manually run the filter on my inbox.

Also should the Set Junk Status to Junk action on its own obey the Account junk setting and move it to the designated folder automatically without an explicit Move action on the filter?

I have filed bug 367920. I do not know if it should be filed as 2 bugs. It also happens in this build.

Another thing I noticed this morning, when I loaded TB all mail was bought down as normal and the unread counter increased in 2 of the accounts as they received mail. When I selected the first account with unread mail, the unread counter increased by one. There is no way this was due to more new mail as TB does not poll my pop accounts that often.

Lastly, is it correct that when you click on the green dot to mark something in the Junk folder as Junk that not only does it mark that item as Junk but it also deletes it? This seems a little odd to me.
Neff

Post by Neff »

This is an enhancement request rather than a bug but what I really need is a way to "allow images" via domain rather than individual email address.

I get mails from various companies, especially recruitment agencies where the staff turn over is high and I get messages from people I haven't dealt with before.

I also get messages from some mailing lists where the from address changes with the issue of the newsletter (e.g. january26news@somedomain.com).

Each time I get such a mail I either have to manually allow the images or add yet another person to the address book. I would like to be able to specify some how that any mail from particular domains is OK to show pictures.

I realise this is not simple as this couldn't just be done with the current address book model but I think it would be appreciated by more than just me.
quen_elf

Post by quen_elf »

My main problem with Thunderbird 1.5 (on OS X 10.3, but it seems to have various manifestations on various platforms) is <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=360018">bug 360018</a> or specifically <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=365868">365868</a> (showing the wrong bloody time format). Yeah, I know it's not a huge deal, but it's annoying, because using the correct format would take less room on screen too... also I keep seeing the 'am/pm' thing and getting the impression I've fallen back in time to the Victorian era or something.

According to a comment in that bug, the issue was still present in Beta 1. Anyone know if it's fixed in beta 2?
Ldz_blade

Accents

Post by Ldz_blade »

Hi!

I'm French canadian, and everytime I post a message (even though I have Thunderbird in French and my Hotmail is in french, my french accents become weird characters or, other times, juste don't show.

Example:

Va me falloir le numéro indiqué à cette adresse-ci pour complèter ma commande sur internet!

Becomes...

Va me falloir le numéro indiqué à cette adresse-ci pour compléter ma
commande sur internet!

I'm running Thunderbird beta 2, french version, with Webmail/hotmail add-ins. My hotmail is in French also, and the problem exists for both classic hotmail and live hotmail.

Please fix this!

Simon
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

johann_p wrote:
Thanks for that, but I am especially interested in the other part -- how to "store custom fields in the mail database" -- I had been looking for a proper metadata-API for some time now and would be interested to see if this is what I was missing.
So, what is this "custom fields in the mail database" feature and is there a documentation for this too?

Sorry to repeat myself here, but I could not find anything about the backend for storing arbitrary metadata with messages, as the release notes say is possible now.

Is there information somewhere about how to do this and what data can be stored? Is this the right place to ask this question (since the OP was signed by "Team Thunderbird" I assumed they would read this forum ...)
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
rosbif73

Post by rosbif73 »

Using the French build of 2.0b2 (and presumably any other locale, though admittedly I haven't checked), Thunderbird defaults to printing on Letter size paper even though the OS is set to A4 size. This is repeatable with a brand new profile.
I've just filed bug 368305 on this one.
kmwade

Post by kmwade »

Neff wrote:This is an enhancement request rather than a bug but what I really need is a way to "allow images" via domain rather than individual email address.

You may want to read the previous posts:

mscott wrote:you can set the trusted domains pref via the config editor. See:

http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/m ... ews.js#588
mscott

Post by mscott »

rosbif73 wrote:Using the French build of 2.0b2 (and presumably any other locale, though admittedly I haven't checked), Thunderbird defaults to printing on Letter size paper even though the OS is set to A4 size. This is repeatable with a brand new profile.
I've just filed bug 368305 on this one.

This was fixed after beta 2.
Thunderbirds are Go!
Neff

Post by Neff »

kmwade wrote:You may want to read the previous posts:

mscott wrote:you can set the trusted domains pref via the config editor. See:

http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/m ... ews.js#588

So it can be done, the back end changes are not as tricky as I thought they might be. But what it needs is a user interface option that says "trust all mail from this domain" to allow you to update that preferences file without reaching for the text editor each time a mail arrives from a new company. Or at least an extension to add that functionality.
macmel

2.0 beta 2 - rebuilt message index -> wrong message count

Post by macmel »

local (sent) folder properties, rebuild index calculates wrong number of messages.
MacOS X/Firefox 2.0,Thunderbird 2.0
--
Kind regards, Mel
levjoy

sending attachments fails

Post by levjoy »

Multiple times now I've sent an attachment that either shows up empty (a Word doc with nothing in it) or doesn't get sent at all.
Last edited by levjoy on January 29th, 2007, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.