Asus A7N8X-X, Athlon 2800+, 512M, Leadtek A350TDH,
Logitech MX-700, Viewsonic VX900, Mandrake 9.1, Fluxbox
rphilip

How to make Firefox display thunderbird URLs on Sun Solaris

Post by rphilip »

For anyone trying to get firefox to open when you click on URLs in
Thunderbird email messages on a Sun Solaris system, the following may help:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunder ... xurls.html

I had to modify the script from that described above. Mine, very inelegant looks like:

(script is name fox.sh)
#!/usr/bin/sh

# get URL to load
url=$1; [ -z $url ] && url=about:blank

# try xremote first
/myfirefoxpath/firefox/run-mozilla.sh /myfirefoxpath/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client openURL\($url\) && exit 0

# if xremote failed, then launch the browser
exec /myfirefoxpath/firefox//firefox $url

I then add the following to my prefs.js file in /myhomedir/.thunderbird/default/m49b38h4.slt/prefs.js :
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/myhomedir/.thunderbird/default/m49b38h4.slt/fox.sh");

(fox.sh is the shell script from above)
MrSandman666

Post by MrSandman666 »

I tried following these instructions and after checking more than three times I'm sure I did everything as directed but it still doesn't work. When I click a link in Thunderbird it just does nothing. It doesn't even ask what to do with the "attachment". Any ideas?
jgross

Post by jgross »

Tried rphilip's suggestion and still didn't work. Still loading cached page with relative links.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040207 Firefox/0.8
Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5 (20040208)
rharri

FF loads caches ext url and loads

Post by rharri »

Was any answer to this problem ever found? I've got a similar problem.
jgross

Post by jgross »

Anonymous wrote:Was any answer to this problem ever found? I've got a similar problem.

It's been posted to bugzilla #234311 but we are still awaiting a response from the team.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040207 Firefox/0.8
Mozilla Thunderbird 0.5 (20040208)
wailqill

solved

Post by wailqill »

i had this problem and i solved it.

i tested the "set as default browser"-tip above

when i clicked "set as default browser" in FF's options pane, it said that it already was the default browser. so i checked out what the registry said about it (explorer/tools/folder options/file types), and firefox WAS the default browser, BUT there was no default action on HTTP-links. so, i set "open" as default (as it should be) and now everything works just fine.
buldir

Registry changes with FF and IE

Post by buldir »

I used Regshot to track the changes made to the registry when changing the default browser from Firefox to IE6 (<a href="http://asuaf.org/~kpapp/downloads/ff_ie_def.txt">FF to IE</a>) and back from IE6 to Firefox (<a href="http://asuaf.org/~kpapp/downloads/ie_ff_def.txt">IE to FF</a>). I think it may shed some light on the problem. I am not responsible for things that may go horribly wrong if you edit your registry. :wink: Note, this is after a clean install of WinXP. I was having problems using Thunderbird to open links in Firefox...basically, it would always open IE6, which I didn't care for. I still don't know why it would do that, even after setting FF as the default browser in the FF options and multiple uninstall/installs of FF. So, I got medieval and reinstalled the GD OS. It works fine now. Now, I urge anyone to look at the changes/deletions/additions to the registry I have posted before taking the time to reinstall your OS...as it will save you some time.

Post by Guest »

I was having the same problem with Firefox/Thunderbird, but on only one of my two XP Pro computers. Someone on another forum just provided an answer that works for me, so it should also work for NT and 2000. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\http\shell\open\command, (creating any keys as necessary). In the command folder modify the default key to show the path to Firefox, adding -url "%1". You should end up with something like C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -url "%1".
efibird

Shell skrit

Post by efibird »

MrSandman666 wrote:I tried following these instructions and after checking more than three times I'm sure I did everything as directed but it still doesn't work. When I click a link in Thunderbird it just does nothing. It doesn't even ask what to do with the "attachment". Any ideas?

Is the shel skript executable?
gSalsero

Post by gSalsero »

I was having the same problems in Win XP until I did the following. From Windows Explorer, go to Tools>Folder Options, then click on the File Types tab. In here I noticed that HTM and HTML files were set to use Firefox, but I also noted that the following were set to use my old browser

URL: File Transfer Protocol
URL: HyperText Transfer Protocol
URL: HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

Once I changed this to use Firefox instead, all links I clicked using MS Outlook, Outlook Express, or Thunderbird finally brought up Firefox instead of my old browser.

I hope this helps.
+BroNNoS+

Post by +BroNNoS+ »

This helps! Thanks.
dmg

Replacing an ISP as default for e-mails on FF

Post by dmg »

I down loaded Firefox. I have both Earthlink and MSN as ISP's. FF loaded all of IE's preferences which included Earthlink as e-mailer. I am discontinuing Earthlink and need to figure a way to get FF to use MSN as my e-mailer.

Any ideas?