symlinking mail folder to mozilla mail folder?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
spacey

symlinking mail folder to mozilla mail folder?

Post by spacey »

Hi,

I was thinking about using thunderbird instead of the mozilla suite mail client and i found the following in the faq:
# Find the Mozilla profile you are interested in migrating (...\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\\XXXXXXXX.slt). Find the location of your new default Thunderbird profile folder. Now copy all the contents of the first directory into the second including subfolders.
# You aren't done yet because Mozilla uses absolute directory paths in prefs.js. Open up the Thunderbird prefs.js file in a text editor. Search and replace all strings containing: ...\Mozilla\Profiles\XXXX.slt with ...\Thunderbird\Profiles\XXXX.slt. Save the file and start up Thunderbird.

What i wanted to ask before i fuck up my mail.. Does thunderbird handles it any bit in a other way so mozilla mail can't use it anymore. Hope not. just wanted be sure. So you could also copy the thunderbird mail back mozilla mail.

I was actually thinking about symlinking the Mail dir (linux user:)) so i can use both mail clients without getting out of sync.

Do you think this will give any problems?

Thanks in advance,
PeterR

Post by PeterR »

I just did this but a little differently. I'm using Mozilla 1.4 and TB 0.5 on RedHat 8.

Instead of using a symlink, I just changed where TB is looking for the mailbox. In other words, by default, TB looks in .thunderbird/profile_name/random_string/Mail/mailbox_name

Just change it to .mozilla/profile_name/random_string/Mail/mailbox_name

Since I have several mailboxes, I copied the appropriate user_prefs entries in Mozilla's prefs.js to TB's prefs.js.