MozillaZine

Own Messages to Mailing List Not Echoed

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
hwfa

Post Posted February 20th, 2007, 1:51 am

I'm using Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 on Win XP Pro/SP2.
I belong to a *mailing list*.

Using Outlook Express or either of two different web-mail systems, if I send a message to the mailing list it appears in my Thunderbird inbox, exactly as it would if it had been sent by someone else.

When I use Thunderbird to send a message to the list, it does *not* appear in my Thunderbird inbox.

What is happening here please? Is there some option I can set to ensure that my sent messages get echoed back into my inbox?

Lost User 58167

Post Posted February 20th, 2007, 7:48 am

When I post to a news group, those posts show up in my Local Folders Inbox. Have you checked there.

hwfa

Post Posted February 20th, 2007, 8:15 am

Yes, of course.

Also, it's not a news group; it's a mail list. That's to say it's POP3/SMTP and not NNTP.

makaiguy

Post Posted February 20th, 2007, 8:41 am

Is the address you're using for the mailing list a Gmail account? From what I've read (I don't use Gmail) Gmail does not send you messages that were sent from that same account.
Doug Wilson, "The Makai Guy"
Win10 (64bit): FF 73.0.1 (64bit), TB 68.6.0 (32-bit) ║ Android 8.0/7.1.1: FF Mobile 68.6.0, No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

hwfa

Post Posted February 20th, 2007, 9:04 am

Yes it is a gmail account. Interesting. But, if I look at my gmail account with a web browser, my messages *are* in my inbox. Also, I had the same problem with Thunderbird a while back when the account was not with gmail but with the ISP I've been using for many years. I'll do some experiments ...

hwfa

Post Posted February 22nd, 2007, 5:36 am

Well, I did some experiments and found some weirdnesses:

1. If I use my Gmail account then

a) Whichever mechanism I use to send messages to the mail list they appear in the web interface's inbox.

b) If I send using the web interface the message appears in Outlook Express (OE) or Thunderbird (TB) inbox. depending on which client I use to fetch the mail (I have POP enabled for the Gmail account)

c) If I send using OE or TB the message does *not* appear in the mail client's (OE/TB) inbox.

2. If I use my ISP's (www.demon.net) account then

a) If I send to the list using TB, the message does *not* appear in TB's inbox

b) If I send using OE, the message does appear in OE's inbox

c) If I send using Demon's webmail, the message appears in TB's or OE's inbox depending on which client I use to fetch the mail.

I think this is very odd. Anyone understand what is going on? Seems the concept of a "mail list" is handled very differently by different mail clients.

Return to Thunderbird Support