Automatic mail checking

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
LookingForMailClient

Automatic mail checking

Post by LookingForMailClient »

I tried Thunderbird 0.4 several months ago, and it had a bug that caused it to stop checking for new mail after a while. There was a bug report made (http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=227617) about it. Now I tried 0.5, and I see it still has the same problem, and that the bug is still listed as "new".

I don't see many complaints about this bug, so I assume it must be a particular configuration issue. Does anyone have any ideas what that might be? I am just checking a single POP account.

With 0.4, when it stopped checking, I could still force a manual check. With 0.5, not even that works. In either case, I must quit the program and restart it to resume automatic checking.

Post by Guest »

I forgot to mention that I am using Windows XP Professional SP1 with an Earthlink dial-up ISP account. I have not had any problem with mail checking using Outlook Express, but I want to switch to another client that lets me filter spam without notifying me that I received a new spam.

I was pleasantly surprised that TB version 0.5 finally supresses new mail notification when a filter marks mail as read, which allows me to use it effectively with SpamBayes. Version 0.4 would not supress the notification (although I think it would for the built-in spam filter, which I could not get to work at all).

However, this automatic checking bug is a real problem.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Do you have ThunderBird running?
LookingForMailClient

Post by LookingForMailClient »

Yes, it is running. And as I said, once it is in this mode, even manually checking (by clicking "Get Mail" on the toolbar) doesn't work. Ordinarily, TB indicates the progress of the check on the status bar, and I can see the connection icon in the tray illuminate. When it is in this failure mode, neither of these things happens.

I have checking set to every minute. When it is in this failure mode, I can send myself an email from another computer, and the mail will not be received after several minutes. If I terminate and restart TB, it immediately receives the mail.