HTML e-mails displaying as plain text

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Abarabusto

HTML e-mails displaying as plain text

Post by Abarabusto »

I just installed Thunderbird on WinXP and any e-mails which are in HTML display as just plain text. I have a feeling I am missing something simple here but haven't been able to find it. Thanks for any help.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Check the View | Message Body As.. setting.

As a new user, may I suggest you take 10 minutes or so and click through ALL the menu options? You don't stand a chance of remembering where everything is, but at least when you have something you want check into, you'll have an idea that it's in there somewhere and can go looking for it.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

Post by Guest »

Actually I always do, and I did play around with that setting even though it was already on "original HTML" It seems to have no affect on anything. Now I installed by simply copying into a directory and running thunderbird.exe. Is there anything else I might need to do.

Post by Guest »

I just noticed that all the html emails I have start with the tag <x-html>. Is this some kind of extended html that Thunderbifd does not support. These emails are all from ebay for auction results so they should be fairly widely supported.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

That's one of the nicer things about the Mozilla programs -- no complex installation, just copy and run as you have.

What is the source of these html format messages? Are they new message arrivals or messages you imported from another client?

There have been some problems reported with importing messages, especially from Eudora, due to Eudora not retaining the header that defines messages as being in html. If that's the source of your messages, do a bbs search on "import Eudora html" and you should find all sorts of threads on this, including some perl scripts to repair the situation.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

Post by Guest »

I would guess you are right because you hit it on the nose. These messages are all imported from eudora. I never would have thought that would be the source of the problem. Thanks much I will investigate